SAN DIMAS (CBSLA.com) — An anti-theft system helped deputies locate a vehicle they say had been taken from a 74-year-old man in San Dimas.
OnStar then managed to disable the vehicle, which was being pursued by authorities, leading to the apprehension of the suspected carjacker, authorities said.
The incident unfolded Saturday night just after 7:20 p.m. when deputies received a call of a man who had been carjacked at a Red Robin restaurant in the 500 block of Arrow Highway.
“He said that he was driving away, pulling out of a parking area in his truck and a male approached his truck window. He opened the door from the outside and he ordered him out,” Lt. Elisabeth Sachs of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said.
The lieutenant says the man fought the suspected carjacker, who Sachs says yanked the older man out of his car.
Sachs says the victim was struck, stomped on, and knocked to the ground. He sustained a cut on his head and some bruises.
Authorities said the suspect, however, fled in the vehicle at which point OnStar operators helped deputies track the vehicle’s location to Diamond Bar.
A short pursuit with speeds reaching 90 miles per hour ensued on the southbound 57 Freeway in Fullerton before OnStar remotely shut down the vehicle, according to KCAL9’s Jasmine Viel.
The suspect, described by deputies as a man in his 20s, was taken into custody without incident.
The victim was taken to a hospital, but has since been released.