LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Nearly 20 witnesses have come forward following the deadly police shooting of a homeless man on Skid Row earlier this month, according to the LAPD.

Inspector General Alex Bustamante gave a progress report into the investigation of the March 1 shooting of Charlie Keunang at a Police Commission meeting Tuesday.

The victim, a Cameroon native, was shot after a confrontation with officers that was caught on video and later went viral.

LAPD Chief Charlie Beck told CBS2/KCAL9 he was not surprised 18 people have come forward to share their accounts of the incident.

“We generally get good cooperation with our investigations,” he said.

More than 30 people who said they were residents of Skid Row meanwhile gathered in front of police headquarters before the meeting.

Inside, activists voiced complaints about a lack of transparency and the slowness of the investigation.

“I’m here to demand that you guys take accountability,” one woman said while addressing the panel.

Beck asked critics to be patient while the investigation continued.

“These things do take time,” he said.

Of the four officers involved in the shooting, three have returned to desk duty. One remains out on a knee injury.

Beck says he has patrolled Skid Row on foot with his officers more than once since the shooting.

“There are far too many people living in conditions that shouldn’t be; and it’s a difficult problem,” he said. “If the solution was easy it would be fixed already.”

RELATED STORIES:

LAPD Officers Victims Of ‘Doxxing’ In Wake Of Fatal Skid Row Shooting

US Marshals: Skid Row Shooting Victim Had Warrant Out For Arrest

Hundreds March In Response To Deadly Officer-Involved Shooting On Skid Row

Deadly Officer-Involved Shooting On Skid Row Caught On Camera Under Investigation

Amateur Videographer Captures Deadly Officer-Involved Shooting On Camera

Comments (2)