LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Marion “Suge” Knight was taken to a local hospital Tuesday shortly after he pleaded not guilty to charges of murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run.

Knight, 49, was arraigned in a high security court room where the judge assigned to the case recused himself, stating as a lawyer, he represented one of the victims, KNX1070’s Margaret Carrero reports.

The co-founder of Death Row Records was then rushed by ambulance to a hospital after experiencing chest pains, the LA County Sheriff’s Department said. His condition was unknown.

Knight has been held at the Men’s Central Jail since Friday, when he surrendered to authorities at the West Hollywood Sheriff’s Station.

On Thursday, authorities said Knight ran over two men with his vehicle outside a fast-food restaurant in Compton near the set of Universal Pictures’ “Straight Outta Compton”. Terry Carter, 55, was killed in the incident and actor Cle “Bone” Sloan, 51, suffered injuries to his foot and chest.

“He’s kinda lucky to be alive. One of the tires went over his mid-section. I suspect that a 165-pound man against a 5,000-pound car, it’s not a good battle. But I think he’s in shock that he even survived,” Sloan’s attorney, Michael Shapiro, said.

Terry Carter (Credit: CA DMV)

Terry Carter (Credit: CA DMV)

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said Carter’s death is being investigated as a homicide as it appeared Knight intentionally aimed his vehicle in the direction of the men following an argument with Sloan.

“From what I understand, he was being attacked and trying to get away from that attack,” Knight’s attorney, David Kenner, said.

Knight’s friends offered words of support following the hearing.

“Mr. Knight is entitled to justice, he’s entitled to his liberty and his freedom,” said one man.

“If any of us were involved an altercation, whether it be a carjacking or anything of the sort, I think that we would all react in some kind of panic way, right?” said Christi Love. “It’s just a reactionary thing and I think it’s just a tragic accident.”

Knight’s $2 million bail was revoked Monday after a bail commissioner placed him on a no-bail hold due to possible flight risk. Officials also said Knight is a three-strike candidate and could potentially intimidate witnesses.

The District Attorney’s Office said the 49-year-old was out on bail in a pending robbery case when the alleged hit-and-run occurred.

A new bail hearing was set for Feb. 9 and a preliminary hearing was scheduled for Feb. 19. If convicted of the charges, the former rap mogul faces life in prison.

Knight previously served five years in jail for assault and federal weapons violations, and after his release in 2001, he spent another 10 months behind bars for violating parole by hitting a Hollywood nightclub valet.

Comments (27)