COMPTON (CBSLA.com) — An attorney for Marion “Suge” Knight says the rap mogul is expected to surrender in connection with a fatal hit-and-run accident in Compton.
Detectives said Knight is a person of interest in the crash that unfolded just before 3 p.m. Thursday in 1200 block of West Rosecrans Avenue.
Detectives also said they have recovered and impounded a red pickup believed to belong to Knight in a West Los Angeles parking lot.
James Edward Blatt, Knight’s attorney, confirmed that Knight was behind the wheel of the truck involved in the fatal hit-and-run.
But Blatt said preliminary information indicates Knight was attacked by two people while seated in his car.
Knight tried to escape and struck two individuals, Blatt said. It’s unclear if the individuals who were struck were the same people believed to have attacked Knight.
Both were transported to a hospital, where one was pronounced dead. The condition of the second person was not known to authorities. Blatt said the deceased was a very good friend of Knight.
Detectives confirmed that Knight was involved in an altercation about 20 minutes before at another location in Compton where the biopic “Straight Outta Compton” was being filmed, according to Deadline.com.
“A red pickup truck is involved in this, and those people were also at the other altercation, so yes, it all suggests that he was the person driving that truck,” L.A. County Sheriff’s Department Homicide Bureau Lt. John Corina said.
“So far, the people we’ve talked to said it looked like it was an intentional act, so we’re handling it as a homicide,” the lieutenant added.
Detectives also told CBS2 they spoke with Blatt, who said Knight will surrender either Thursday night or Friday morning.
Authorities don’t know where Knight is, however.
The Associated Press reports that Blatt said by telephone: “We are confident that once the investigation is completed, he will be totally exonerated.”