CASTAIC (CBSLA.com) — An 81-year-old man remained hospitalized Sunday for treatment of smoke inhalation and burns sustained in a mobile home fire that claimed the life of his wife.

According to the Los Angeles County Fire Department, the fire broke out just after 3:00 a.m. in a mobile home, located in the 32100 block of North Heavenly Way near West Moonridge Lane.

READ MORE: Super Lotto Ticket Worth $38 Million Sold At Santa Clarita Gas Station

Firefighters explained to KCAL9’s Joy Benedict that they received 911 calls from drivers, who were traveling on the 5 Freeway, as flames could be seen from two miles away.

Once on scene, officials said they found the man unconscious by the front door of the mobile home.

Firefighters rescued him and continued searching inside the home, where they found his 73-year-old wife in a hospital bed located in the living room. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Family members on scene identified the woman as Jacqueline Fiedler, reporting she was bed ridden due to having Diabetes.

No other injuries were reported.

A preliminary investigation revealed that the husband, who was sleeping in the front bedroom, was awoken by the early morning fire.

READ MORE: Woman, 4 Children Shot And Killed In Lancaster Home

When he ran to get an extinguisher he was overcome by smoke, which knocked him unconscious, and prevented him from saving his wife, firefighters explained.

According to authorities, the man suffered from first and second-degree burns to about 10-percent of his body. His condition is unknown at this time, however, he is believed to survive.

Los Angeles County arson investigators determined the fire was accidental, as flames erupted from a portable electric device that was not heat-related.

Crews reported there were several things plugged in, or battery operated, around the hospital bed. They have not yet determined which device sparked the flames.

Firefighters explained the device was located in the living room, where Jacqueline was sleeping.

Arson investigators said there were no working smoke detectors inside of the home.

MORE NEWS: Man Killed After Large Tree Topples Onto Encino Home

Los Angeles County Firefighters said they would pass out smoke detectors in the neighborhood Sunday afternoon.