MURRIETA (CBSLA.com) — Former Murrieta Mayor Alan Long is facing new legal troubles in the wake of a crash that left four teens injured last month.
The families of the girls involved announced Monday they had filed a civil lawsuit against Long, who stepped down from his position after the Oct. 16 accident at the intersection of Jefferson and Lily avenues.READ MORE: Southern California Real Estate Market Cools Off In Fall
Melissa Reynolds was one of the four cheerleaders, ages 14 to 17, injured.
Her grandmother, Rozette Dewart, says the 16-year-old is now spending most of her days in a hospital bed at the family’s home.
“She’s suffering bad. Very bad. Traumatically suffering,” Dewart said. “She can barely walk. She needs help.”
Chloe and Camille Rogers’ mother says her daughters have not been back to school either, and their recovery has been slow and painful.
“They’re still in pain, and they too are experiencing night terrors and reliving the situation,” Cathy Rogers said.
The District Attorney’s Office has filed a DUI charge against Long, whose blood alcohol level was .08 at the scene.
The lawyer for the teens’ families claimed Monday the then-mayor was not only under the influence but deliberately waited to call 911.
“He did not call 911 immediately after causing this horrendous crash. Instead, he delayed and tried to deflect any involvement of authorities,” the attorney said.READ MORE: 'If You Don't Get Vaccinated, Don't Visit': Mayor Of West Hollywood Calls For Proof Of Vaccination For Business Entry
Long, who also works as a fire battalion chief in Anaheim, resigned as mayor days after the accident but remained on the ballot for a Murrieta City Council spot and was re-elected.
“[I’m] very disappointed. I would say he’s the example … for the community. And that isn’t setting a good example for not only the people of Murrieta but for the children,” Dewart said.
“I’m very disappointed in the results. And I think that as the facts come out, a lot of voters will probably wish that they had made other decisions,” Rogers added.
Long’s attorney is not commenting on the lawsuit.
The family says Long has not reached out to them to apologize.
RELATED STORIES:One Killed, Four Injured In El Monte Shooting