LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) – Los Angeles Lakers point guard Steve Nash will miss the 2014-15 season with recurring nerve damage in his back, the team announced Thursday

Last week, head coach Byron Scott said Nash, 40, had a a little setback after carrying bags Oct. 15. Now, the setback could turn to retirement.

READ MORE: Newsom, Calif. Lawmakers Reach Deal To Reopen Schools By End Of March

“Being on the court this season has been my top priority, and it is disappointing to not be able to do that right now,” said Nash. “I work very hard to stay healthy and unfortunately my recent setback makes performing at full capacity difficult. I will continue to support my team during this period of rest and will focus on my long-term health.”

The league’s oldest player was able to play in just 15 games last season while struggling with nerve-root irritation.

READ MORE: LAUSD Opens COVID Vaccine Site At SoFI Stadium Monday For Education Staff Only

Nash is due to make $9.7 million for the season.

“As disappointed as we are for ourselves and our fans, we’re even more disappointed for Steve,” said Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak on the team’s website. “We know how hard he’s worked the last two years to try to get his body right for the rigors of the NBA, and how badly he wants to play, but unfortunately he simply hasn’t been able to get there up to this point in time. Steve has been a consummate professional, and we greatly appreciate his efforts.”

MORE NEWS: Teachers, Food Workers Now Eligible To Get Vaccinated In LA County

(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)