LOS ANGELES (CBSLA/AP) — The city of L.A. has settled a lawsuit that alleged City Councilman Jose Huizar sexually harassed a former aide.
A lawyer for Francine Godoy announced Wednesday that the suit has been dismissed but didn’t provide settlement details.READ MORE: 2 Long Beach Grocery Stores Shutting Down Saturday Over Hero Pay Law
“The parties have reached a global settlement. The lawsuit has been dismissed against all parties and they are now moving forward and will not discuss the matter any further,” according to a statement from Robert Alaniz, a spokesman for Huizar’s attorney at Walsh & Associates.
An aide to City Attorney Mike Feuer tells the Los Angeles Times that the city didn’t pay any money to settle the case.
Earlier this year, however, the city agreed to pay up to $200,000 in legal fees so that Huizar could fight the case. It remains to be seen how much of the councilman’s legal fees will fall on taxpayers.
Godoy was Huizar’s deputy chief of staff. She sued him and the city last year, claiming Huizar offered to support her in an election campaign in exchange for sex and retaliated when she refused his sexual advances.
Huizar said the charges were false but admitted to having an extramarital affair with Godoy.
The councilman has already been facing a tough reelection campaign, especially when L.A. County Supervisor Gloria Molina entered the race.READ MORE: Armed Suspect Caught On Camera Robbing Group Of People In A West Hollywood Alley
“This is going to be a very, very difficult race for him, and the ongoing legal conflict would have made it a lot tougher,” political science Prof. Jack Pitney said. “So he faced a lot of political and legal pressure to put this behind him.”
Related Stories:Motive Unknown After 8 Killed At Indianapolis FedEx Facility
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)