ANAHEIM (CBSLA.com) — The brother of a man gunned down last month on the 91 Freeway spoke out as the man suspected in the shooting made his first court appearance Monday.
Agustin Villegas, 32, of Anaheim was fatally shot while in the passenger seat of a vehicle traveling on the westbound 91 east of the 57 Freeway the evening of July 14.READ MORE: Southern California Could See Light Rain Overnight, With Colder Storm Forecast Later This Week
KCAL9’s Michele Gile reports a shrine still fills the living room of the home of the father of four.
And while an arrest in the shooting has been made, Villegas’ grieving relatives say it provides little comfort.
Speaking through a translator, the victim’s brother said he’s still in shock.
“It feels really ugly. This is a really ugly situation,” he said, with other relatives insisting Villegas was a “good family man trying to get home to his family” when the shooting occurred.
Authorities say Villegas was riding in a truck with his teenage son and two others when a bullet pierced the window of the vehicle, killing him instantly.
Villegas’ 42-year-old cousin, who was behind the wheel, was injured, Anaheim police Lt. Bob Dunn said. The teenagers in the vehicle were unharmed.
Police last week arrested 45-year-old David Arzate Cabrera of Anaheim in the shooting.
Authorities say Cabrera was in possession of a handgun and a controlled substance when taken into custody.READ MORE: New York City Announces First-In-The-Nation Vaccine Mandate For Private Companies
A motive remains unclear, however; Villegas’ family members say they have never seen the suspect.
On Monday, Cabrera was charged with murder with a special-circumstances allegation that it was a drive-by shooting, possession for sale of a controlled substance and possession of a firearm by a felon, all felonies.
He also faces sentencing-enhancement allegations for the personal discharge of a firearm causing great bodily injury and for a conviction in 1990 for possession for sale of a controlled substance.
Cabrera remains held without bail. His arraignment was continued until Aug. 20.
If convicted, he faces a minimum of life in prison without the possibility of parole. He is also eligible for the death penalty.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)
RELATED STORIES:Drake Reportedly Withdraws 2 Grammy Nominations