TEMECULA (CBSLA.com/AP) — Opponents of a planned U.S. Border Patrol effort to bring nearly 300 Central American migrants from South Texas to Southern California for processing are hailing an order by the federal government to put the operation on hold.
As part of the proposal from the Obama Administration, Paul Beeson, the Border Patrol’s San Diego sector chief, told The Associated Press Saturday that there would be two flights Monday with 140 passengers each. The flights were expected to continue every three days.
But on Sunday, agency spokesman Ralph DeSio said that he didn’t know why flights to San Diego and El Centro – about 100 miles east of San Diego – had been shelved. He added that planning is “in a very fluid state” and the operation could be reinstated.
Protesters in Temecula gathered Sunday over concerns that hundreds of illegal immigrants could soon begin arriving in southwest Riverside County and potentially be released into the community.
Patrice Lynes of Temecula, who organized the protest, told KNX 1070 NEWSRADIO she welcomes that the move of the migrants is now on hold.