SANTA ANA (CBSLA.com) — Two women were killed and four other people injured early Wednesday morning in an Orange County house fire at a group home that housed disabled residents.
One of the deceased was found in her bed.READ MORE: Search For Missing Mother Heidi Planck Leads To Chiquita Canyon Landfill In Castaic
The fire was reported at 5:44 a.m. at Mary’s Home, in the 2100 block of N. Hathaway Street in Santa Ana, the Orange County Fire Authority said.
The bodies of two female victims, 48 and 52 years old, were found inside the home by firefighters.
Three residents, between the ages of 30 an 60 years old, suffered smoke inhalation and were transported to Western Medical Center for treatment, according to the OCFA. A 71-year-old caregiver was also transported for minor burns to her face, hands and arms. She was last listed in moderate condition.
The fire was knocked down at 6:15 a.m.READ MORE: Grandmother, 4 Children Shot And Killed In Lancaster Home; Father Germarcus David Arrested
CBS2’s Jeff Nguyen spoke to the owner of the business, Gloria Uy.
“You know, it’s so sad. I lost two clients. This is really sad,” says Uy.
“This is a licensed facility that’s been here since 2006. It’s licensed by the Department of Social Services,” said Steve Concialdi of the Orange County Fire Authority.
Nguyen also spoke to Hugo Montes, a neighbor who rushed into the home trying to save lives.
“They were crying. And the caretaker, she was in chock. She was trying to put out the fire,” said Montes.MORE NEWS: Kim Fields Hopes 'Adventures In Christmasing' Inspires People To Come Out Of Their Comfort Zone
Late Wednesday, officials told KCAL9’s Stacey Butler that they believed the fire was caused by a faulty electric device in one of the bedrooms.