LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Paramedics responded to an elementary school in Watts Friday after reports of as many as 20 students becoming ill, authorities said.

Students at Ritter Elementary School at 11108 Watts Ave. were instructed to “shelter in place” while the affected students were treated by paramedics shortly after 12:45 p.m., according to LAUSD officials.

Firefighters eventually eliminated carbon monoxide poisoning as a possible cause, Los Angeles County Fire officials said.

The affected children were believed to have ingested something that made them sick, officials said.

KCAL9’s Randy Paige reported many of the children vomited and described having stomach issues and chills.

The children reported being sick right after the lunch period, Paige said.

Paige also reported that at least two of the children were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment but only because parents requested the transport.

Most of the students who reported being sick were picked up by the parents.

“I was feeling sick,” said fifth-grader Kimberly Castro. “I think it might have just been a stomach ache. Now I feel much better.”

An investigation about what possibly made the children sick is under investigation.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE