LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A public memorial service was held Tuesday for Transportation Security Officer Gerardo Hernandez, who was killed at LAX earlier this month.

READ MORE: Man Attacked During Possible Early Morning Brentwood Robbery

KNX 1070’s Jon Baird reports the service, which got underway at 10 a.m. at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena in Exposition Park, was attended by U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder and was open to all.

Hernandez was fatally shot during a shooting rampage in Terminal 3 at LAX on Nov. 1.

The 39-year-old was working at a lower-level passenger check-in station when a gunman, who is suspected to be 23-year-old Paul Anthony Ciancia, pulled a semi-automatic weapon out of a duffel bag and began shooting. Federal officials say the suspect was targeting TSA agents.

Hernandez, of Porter Ranch, was transported to Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in Torrance, where he was pronounced dead.

Hundreds of TSA officers and law enforcement officials attended Tuesday’s memorial along with Holder, acting Secretary of Homeland Security Rand Beers, TSA Administrator John Pistole and Mayor Eric Garcetti.

READ MORE: New COVID Testing Protocols Take Effect For International Arrivals At LAX

“We are your family. We love you, and Gerardo will always be in our hearts. God bless you,” Garcetti said.

“We mourn him throughout our ranks and throughout the nation,” Pistole added.

The service also included the U.S. Honor Flag, which was flown over Los Angeles last Wednesday in a special ceremony. The flag flew over Ground Zero following the 9/11 terror attacks and memorializes law enforcement officials who have died in the line of duty.

Hernandez was previously laid to rest, however, his wife and two children, attended the public memorial.

TSA agents across the country participated in a moment of silence in memory of the fallen officer on Friday morning.

Hernandez was the first TSA officer killed in the line of duty.

MORE NEWS: Kempe's Two Goals Help Put Kings Over Oilers, 5-1

Ciancia remains hospitalized in fair condition at UCLA.