HUNTINGTON BEACH (CBSLA.com) — Police in Orange County Monday were investigating whether a boy ingested Halloween candy tainted with methamphetamine.
The boy became ill Saturday, the Huntington Beach Police Department said.READ MORE: Woman Arrested At O.C. Hotel On Suspicion Of Arson
“The child, who does not reside in Huntington Beach, had been eating candy received by trick-or-treating on Halloween night in Huntington Beach in the area of Beach and Atlanta some time before the parents started to notice odd behavior,” Sgt. Michael Metoyer said.
His parents told police the child experienced nightmares and would not go to back to sleep, prompting them to take him to a local hospital.
Lab tests later confirmed that the boy was exposed to meth, according to officials.READ MORE: Long Beach Man Arrested In Connection With Fatal Shooting
Authorities have not confirmed that the meth exposure was linked to candy.
“In an effort to exercise extreme caution, the Huntington Beach Police Department recommends that parents carefully check any candy or other food items before they allow their kids to eat them,” Sgt. Metoyer said.
The child is recovering at an Orange County hospital.
Anyone with information regarding this case or similar circumstances should call Det. Ryan Reilly at (714)536-5967.MORE NEWS: Face Coverings No Longer Required For Parishioners Who Are Fully Vaccinated
A Moreno Valley child was also hospitalized Saturday after allegedly eating tainted candy collected while trick-or-treating in the 25000 block of Calabria Way, officials said.