LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — An Antelope Valley home where convicted serial rapist Christopher Hubbart was slated to relocate upon his release is reportedly no longer an option, it was announced Friday.
Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey confirms that the owner of a Lake Los Angeles home has withdrawn the property from consideration.READ MORE: Reporter’s Notebook: Suzanne Marques At The White House To Interview First Lady Jill Biden
The 62-year-old so-called “Pillowcase Rapist” was expected to be housed at the home on Laredo Vista Avenue upon his planned release from a state mental hospital possibly next month.
“Our Lake Los Angeles community has been successful in preventing Hubbart’s release to their neighborhood,” Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich said. “This is a significant victory, however, the fight is not over. Another Los Angeles County community may still be identified by the state, which will start this process all over again.”
It was not immediately clear whether alternative locations were being considered or if a judge would weigh in on the situation, a spokesperson for the D.A.’s office told City News Service. A hearing to finalize Hubbart’s housing was previously scheduled for Dec. 4.READ MORE: Caught On Video: Man Robs Bus Rider Of Backpack At Gunpoint
Word of Hubbart’s planned release, however, prompted residents in the area to stage protests outside the proposed home and establish a Facebook page dedicated to preventing Hubbart’s relocation.
According to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, the home was in compliance with Jessica’s Law, which prohibits sex offenders released from prison from living within 2,000 feet of parks and schools.
Hubbart admitted to raping nearly 40 women between 1971 and 1982.How Does The Coronavirus Mutate? It's Just A Series Of Mistakes
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)