STUDIO CITY (KCAL9) — The Taste is the Los Angeles Times’ annual three-day food event at Paramount Studios that celebrates the all-star Angelenos responsible for shaping LA’s exciting and evolving culinary landscape!
Kyle Schutte, Executive Chef at Culver City’s The Corner Door, and Brandyn Tepper, the head bartender at David Myers’ Hinoki & the Bird in Century City, stopped by KCAL9 Friday to talk about the event.READ MORE: Public Health Officials Lift Warnings For Certain LA County Beaches
The Taste event runs throughout Labor Day Weekend at Paramount Pictures Studios.
Schutte showed viewers how to make jicama tacos with the following recipe:
Serves: 2-3 people
1 bulb jicama
2 cups cold water
1. Using a chef’s knife, square off one end of the jicama so it can sit flat on the cutting board. Peel back the skin using your fingers where the skin frays along the cut. When the skin has been removed, slice the jicama on a wide mandolin or slicer. If you use a slicer, be sure the blade is turned off to avoid the bulb splitting.READ MORE: Fourth Officer Who Responded To January 6 Attack Dies By Apparent Suicide
2. Shave the entire bulb in rounds about one centimeter thick (about the thickness of a dime). Stack the shaved rounds of jicama on top of one another and cut them into circles using a ring cutter with a 3.5 inch diameter.
3. Combine the water and the juice from the lime in a container with sliced jicama and reserve for later use.
Black garlic purée
1 tablespoon pink peppercorns
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
1 ounce micro cilantro
1. Drain and pat as much of the water from the shaved jicama as possible. Stack each piece of jicama on top of another for each “tortilla”.
2. When the jicama is stacked, use a small spoon to put a small dollop of the garlic puree on each tortilla at 6 o’clock and run your spoon through it to through 12 o’clock to create a swipe.
3. Using a perforated spoon, drain some of the pickled mango from the syrup and place about 1 tbsp of mango on each taco on top of the garlic puree.MORE NEWS: 'People On This Block Are Hurting': More Allegations Pinned On LAPD In Aftermath Of South LA Fireworks Explosion
4. Top each taco with two crushed pink peppercorns and crumbled feta. Finish garnishing the tacos with two pieces of candied lime zest and 2 pieces of micro cilantro.