BURBANK (CBSLA.com) — Many would not believe that there is an actual burglary season, where the chances of a home burglary skyrocket. However, according to authorities, now is the time of the year to prepare.READ MORE: Costco And Other Big Box Retailers Limiting Number Of Some Items Customers Can Purchase
Burglaries reportedly increase about 200 percent in Spring and Summer compared to Winter.
“There actually are more burglaries that do occur because of the warm weather, ” Officer said. “And the simple fact is that people get comfortable opening up their windows and doors.”
The website Angie’s List suggests a number of simple and inexpensive ways to protect your home against burglaries:
• Using a high-quality deadbolt will help prevent the lock on your doors from being picked.READ MORE: Friday Last Day For LAUSD Employees To Get First COVID-19 Vaccine Dose Before Oct. 15 Deadline
• Checking your lock’s rating with the American National Standards Institute will ensure that you have the safest protection available.
• Making sure you’re door is in good condition will also give you peace of mind when it comes to the threat of break-ins. To do this, try knocking on your door and listen. If you hear an echo, it may mean that your door is hollow, and therefore, easier to break into.
• A good lighting system, including outside light sensors, can discourage would-be burglars from attempting a break-in.
• Have indoor lights that are set to random times through a timer may be more effective than having your light’s on all the time.
Taking some of these easy steps can contribute to the protection of your home when it needs it most.MORE NEWS: 8 Stained Glass Windows Of St. Peter Armenian Apostolic Church In Lake Balboa Found Shattered By Masked Vandal