LAGUNA BEACH ( — A Carson man was charged on Thursday for an Orange County standoff after a traffic collision that turned into a barricade situation after the driver was seen with a gun in his lap.

Edward Ernest Uribe, 41, was arrested after an almost five-hour-long standoff with with Laguna Beach Police and Orange County SWAT officers after he had been involved in a five vehicle traffic accident on Wednesday at approximately 5:20 pm on Coast Highway and Vista Del Sol.

Uribe was charged with three felony charges of possession of a firearm, possession of a controlled substance, and bringing a controlled substance into a jail, in addition to three misdemeanor charges.

Witnesses reported seeing Uribe’s vehicle traveling in a reckless manner from the Dana Point area. As police and fire personnel were arriving on scene, witnesses pointed out that the single occupant of the Mustang had a gun on his lap.

Officers drew their weapons and attempted to have Uribe safely exit his vehicle, but he did not comply. during this initial

An officer then fired a shot striking Uribe’s vehicle. Uribe was not injured.

He told the officers that if the car door was pulled open, the car would explode.

Officers then retreated to a safer distance, and from that point, Uribe did not communicate with the officers and remained in his vehicle.

During the standoff, SWAT personnel had to transport a paramedic team in an armored vehicle through the scene into Three Arch Bay to render aid to a 70-year-old driver involved in the original accident.

In another unusual twist, a Laguna Beach police officer had to transport medical personnel through the scene from Crown Valley Parkway to Mission Hospital with a human organ that was urgently needed at the hospital.

At approximately, 9:15 pm, tear gas was dispersed into the vehicle and after approximately 30 minutes, Uribe exited the passenger side of his vehicle and collapsed onto the sidewalk. He was taken into custody without further incident.

Uribe was treated at Mission Hospital Laguna Beach for his exposure to the tear gas, but had no other injuries.

He was booked at the Laguna Beach Police Department and then transferred to the Orange County Jail, where he is being held on a $50,000 bail.

A loaded .22 caliber handgun was recovered from the suspect’s vehicle.

An investigation into the officer-involved shooting is currently underway.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE