LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Space shuttle Endeavour’s final 12-mile journey — which organizers are calling “Mission 26” — to its new home at the California Science Center is now underway. However, officials are asking that spectators only come to see it at the following places on Saturday, Oct. 13:
– 9 a.m, Forum parking lot in Inglewood
– 2 p.m., Martin Luther King and Crenshaw at Crenshaw Plaza
– 8:30 p.m., Bill Robertson Lane at Exposition Park
Inglewood Police Department Lt. James Madia told KNX 1070 that the Forum will be able accommodate about 15,000 people.
KNX1070’s Pete Demetriou reports some travelers were overwhelmed by traffic near LAX Friday morning.
The following is a detailed schedule of Endeavour’s trip from LAX to its permanent space at the Science Center:
— Leave United Hangar
Thursday, Oct. 11, 11:30 p.m.
— United Hangar to Twy E17
12:30 a.m. (Friday, Oct. 12)
— Service Road to LAX Gate S1A
— Northside Pkwy. to Lincoln Blvd.
— S. McConnell Ave. to La Tijera Blvd.
— La Tijera Blvd. to Drollinger Parking Lot.
Switch Transporters from Narrow Configuration to Wide Configuration Exit Drollinger Parking Lot at 1:30 p.m.
— Sepulveda Eastway to Manchester Blvd.
— Manchester Blvd. to Osage Ave.
— Osage Ave. to S. Glasgow Ave.
— S. Glasgow Ave to La Cienega Blvd.
Set Orbiter to Dollies from 4:15 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Cross Manchester Bridge from 10:00 p.m. to 10:15 p.m.
Set Forward End of Orbiter to SPMT’s from 10:15 p.m. to 11:55 p.m.
Set Aft End of Orbiter to SPMT’s from 12:05 a.m. to 1:30 a.m. (Saturday, Oct. 13)
— S. Ash Ave. to Inglewood Ave.
— Grevillea Ave. to East Hillcrest Blvd.
— East Hillcrest Blvd. to South Prairie Ave.
— South Prairie Ave. to Crenshaw Dr.
— Crenshaw Dr. to Crenshaw Blvd.
— Crenshaw Blvd. to W. 79th St.
— W. 79th St. to West Florence Ave.
— W. Florence Ave. to W. Slauson Ave.
— W. Slauson Ave. to W. Vernon Ave.
— W. Vernon Ave. to MLK
Switch Transporters from Wide Configuration to Narrow Configuration from 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
— MLK to Olmsted Ave.
— Olmsted Ave. to 4th Ave.
— 4th Ave. to Western Ave.
— Western Ave. to S. Normandie Ave.
— S. Normandie Ave. to Bill Robertson Ln.
— Bill Robertson Ln. to CSC Pavilion Ramp
Officials say the traffic route and times are subject to change. Crews will begin closing streets along the route beginning Thursday night.
The following are scheduled street closures:
– Lincoln Blvd., between Sepulveda and Manchester, will be closed in both directions from 8:30 p.m. Oct. 11 through 5 a.m. on Oct. 12.
– Lincoln Blvd. between Sepulveda and Manchester, one lane on each direction will be closed on Oct. 13 from 4 a.m. to 5 p.m. for the reconstruction of the median barrier
– 405 Freeway on and off ramps at Manchester Ave. and southbound off-ramp at La Cienaga Blvd. and Florence Ave. will be closed from 10 a.m. Oct. 12 through 4 a.m. Oct. 13.
Southern California Edison said via Twitter that residents in Inglewood along the route could experience power outages.