LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Six people were hospitalized Saturday after a malfunctioning fog machine discharged carbon dioxide at a Hollywood concert.

The incident happened around 6 p.m. at the Avalon on 1735 North Vine Street. The band Midnight Red was about to take the stage in front of 400 concertgoers when visibility was reduced to near zero.

KNX 1070’s Kim Marriner spoke with Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey, who said scores of firefighters and paramedics responded.

“A large volume of carbon dioxide that was being used as theatrical fogging effects filled the venue…a total of 22 people received medical attention at the scene. Six were taken to the hospital, all in good to fair condition,” said Humphrey.

Symptoms ranged from headaches to dizziness to skin burns that resembled minor frostbite.

Those taken to hospitals ranged in age from 6 to 20, according to the fire department.

Many of the young people at the show were in town for Sunday’s Teen Choice Awards at the Gibson Amphitheatre in Universal City.

(©2012 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE