ORANGE (CBS) — A man who led authorities on a pursuit through Orange County Thursday night has now been booked on murder charges in the deaths of his girlfriend and the couple’s two young sons.

An apartment manager Thursday asked police to check on the Shazer Limas’ girlfriend, 31-year-old Arlet Hernandez Contreras, after finding blood in the unit they shared up until a few days ago.

Officers then located Limas in a parking lot near John Wayne Airport. He fled, leading authorities on a chase along the southbound 405 and 5 freeways before waging an hour-long standoff, which prompted the shutdown of Interstate 5 in both directions.

Orange County Sheriff’s deputies are now searching for the bodies of Contreras and the couple’s 2-year-old and 4-month-old sons.

We obtained court records showing that Limas had filed a temporary restraining order against Contreras last April.

A judge had granted Limas protective custody from Contreras, the documented showed.

“I fear for my safety and wellbeing, but also for my property,” Limas was quoted saying in the documents.

In a letter dated in 2011, he said, “My main concern is that Arlet Hernandez Contreras is going to physically hurt herself and accuse me of doing so.”

In the letter, Limas claimed that he had saved text messages from her in his phone, which apparently read, “If you call the police I’m going to hit myself and make marks on my neck and say that you were the one that did it, so they will take you with me.”

He also said she wrote, “You’re mine and you will not be anyone else’s over my body I warn you. Again, if you talk to police, I’ll do chaos. I don’t mind going to jail.”

According to court records in March, Limas was ordered to pay $284 a month in child support for their boys.

The statements made in the restraining order were just Limas’ statements.

Contreras’ mother said that she feared the worse.

“She said that his behavior was very erratic. Sometimes it would be OK, sometimes he would be really bad,” Myra Contreras said with the help of a translator.

Limas Friday night remained in custody on suspicion of murder.

Anyone with information pertaining to the case was asked to contact authorities.


Leave a Reply