LOS ANGELES (CBS) — The revamped school lunches at Los Angeles Unified School District have won awards, commending them for improving the menu at the second largest school district in the nation. Too bad the students don’t agree.

Rejecting healthful alternatives like vegetarian curries and tamales, quinoa salads and pad Thai noodles, students are throwing them in the trash by the thousands, bringing junk food from home and buying instant noodles and other decidedly unhealthy fare from the “black markets” that have begun to thrive at campuses across the district, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The wholesale rejection to its healthy menu comes about a year after a very public food fight with TV chef Jamie Oliver. Oliver filmed a few weeks of his ABC series “Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution” at one LAUSD campus, but the permit was terminated abruptly.

The series’ first season featured Oliver trying to revolutionize the eating habits and food policies of Huntington, W. Va.

The district said they welcomed Oliver, but not his cameras, in an effort to avoid gimmicks, like filling a school bus with 57 tons of white sand to represent the amount of sugar LAUSD students consume weekly in flavored milk.

The kerfluffle led to LAUSD’s decision to change the menu in favor of healthier options. The district decided to do away with chocolate- and strawberry-flavored milk.

Now, the Times reports cartons of plain milk are being thrown away en masse, unopened, along with uneaten entrees. Participation in the school lunch program has dropped by thousands of students, who are ditching lunch and are suffering from hunger-related ailments.

The complaints have been heard and LAUSD is planning changes to the menu, the Times reports. Burgers and (healthy) pizza are coming back, and dishes like quinoa salads and brown rice cutlets are out.

L.A. Unified serves 650,000 meals daily.

»RELATED STORY: LAUSD Enlists Parents In Effort To Get Students Eating Healthier Menu

Comments (450)
  1. Amy says:

Where in the article did it say that the taxpayers are feeding the students for free? All schools elementary and up offer lunch, yes some students qualify for food assistance but from what I see with my own two eyes most pay for it out of pocket. If I’m paying for my lunch I’m not going to buy what you want me to eat cause you say it’s “healthy” I’m going to buy whatever I’m in the mood for that day and being a meataterian I doubt I would welcome any of the stuff they mentioned either.

2. acwdancer says:

Who wrote this article?

3. Shawn says:

My kids, who don’t get free lunch, have eaten and enjoyed food from different countries and said the new ethnically diverse menu options just taste bad. Have heard parents and teachers, who pay twice as much as the kids for the same lunch, complain about the taste of the food. Kids might try something different if it was cooked right!

4. lawyers car accident says:

You have lots of useful pointers on this site. This is a well written article that I have bookmarked for future reading. Have a fun.

5. real estate,real estate listings,real estate foreclosures,remax,real estate value,commercial real estate,real estate careers,google real estate,real estate companies says:

I do agree with all of the ideas you’ve introduced for your post. They are really convincing and can certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very short for novices. May you please prolong them a little from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

6. bubble shooter full screen says:

Thanks for the good writeup. It actually used to be a amusement account it. Look advanced to more brought agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?

7. Újra Tanulok Program - TÁMOP-2.1.6-12/1 pályázat - 2012 says:

Az Újra Tanulok TÁMOP-2.1.6-12/1 projekt keretében támogatásban részesülhetnek azok a tankötelezettségüket teljesített, de a rájuk irányadó öregségi nyugdíjkorhatárt be nem töltött személyek – foglalkoztatási helyzetüktől függetlenül – akik az alábbi kimenetű képzésekben való részvételt vállalják.

8. Master wedding planning,professional wedding planning,wedding planning,wedding planning guide,wedding planning tips says:

I relish, cause I found exactly what I was looking for. You have ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

9. lose weight program says:

You could certainly see your enthusiasm in the paintings you write. The sector hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. All the time go after your heart.

10. jocuri gatit says:

Hello, Neat post. There is a problem together with your website in web explorer, could test this? IE still is the market leader and a big component to people will omit your wonderful writing due to this problem.