DUBLIN, Calif. (CBS) —A cast iron cannonball rocketed through two homes and landed inside a minivan Tuesday when a “Mythbusters” TV experiment went wrong.

Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage are hosts of the scientific experimentation show, which airs on The Discovery Channel. The pair was reportedly trying to figure out how fast a cannonball would travel, when it misfired and shot hundreds of feet in the air.

“This cannonball was supposed to go through several barrels of water and through a cinder block, and then ultimately into the side of the hill,” said J.D. Nelson of the Alameda County Sheriff’s Department.

Instead the cannonball flew over the foothills surrounding Camp Parks Military Firing Reservation, before spiraling back toward Dublin like a cruise missile.

It flew straight through the front door of a home on Cassata Place, and bounced around like a pinball, flying up to the second floor before blasting through a back bedroom wall.

The wayward cannonball then blasted across a busy road and through a second home some 50 yards away, demolishing roof tiles.

The homeowner’s mother was frightened.

“It was a very loud boom; she thought a tree fell, maybe a meteor,” said Ming Jiang. “It wasn’t clear that it was a cannonball landing on the roof.”

The out of control cannonball finally came to a stop inside Jasper Gill’s minivan.

“It hit the dash, through the passenger window,” said Gill, who had gotten out of the vehicle just 10 minutes before the ball struck. “I’m lucky I’m alive.”

Incredibly, no one was injured in the mishap.

Officials said “Mythbusters” had been using the firing reservation for the last eight years for similar experiments, but nothing like this had ever happened before.

Wednesday, Hyneman and Savage visited the effected neighborhood to apologize and promised to pay for the repairs.

“This is the worst thing that’s happened on our watch,” said Savage. “And we’re gonna make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

Comments (357)
  1. Billy says:

Sorry dude, mind if I play through?

2. smv says:

What else would you expect from a bunch of idiots that wouldn’t know “scientific procedure” if it came up and bit them on the rear?

3. JH says:

They should be charged with attempted murder. Or terrorism.

4. Ray Berry says:

well, I guess they’ll shoot stuff into the bay from treasure island from now on. that’ll cost M5 and the producers a small mint.

5. Chicken says:

Liberals are good at choking on Obama’s dikc being the good little communist f@gg0ts they are.

6. San Diego Steve says:

Exactly what myth were they trying to bust? That if you fire a cannonball it will do damage when it comes back down? Not much mythology there. There are quite a few ruined castles in Europe that are evidence of this fact. Indeed, when cannons were invented, castles went out of fashion. Glad the cannonball did not land on someone’s head, or child.

7. JMS says:

“Don’t try this at home, We’re what you call ‘professionals'”

8. Ken says:

I wish it had hit my house or my car; I’d tell them as compensation I want an autographed DVD set and an invite to be on the set to watch when they make one of their shows 🙂

9. Scott says:

Jamie Want Big Boom!!!

Love the show… Accidents happen. These guys, especially Jamie, have always been particular about safety. Its a fluke, it happens.

It’s funny how the comments on here start flying towards lawsuits. Yep, thats the american way, wait til something hits the fan and then sue sue sue!!!

Get over it people. If it was the military that fired the shot and it happened it would be swept under the rug, but no, its a tv show so sue now and sue fast!

You can keep your American Idol…

When did the producers of American Idol meet the president? The president issued a challenge to Jamie and Adam, he also commented on how much the presidential family loves the show and its contributions towards science. Anything that puts kids heads in the books is good for society.. But hey lets watch American Idol and shows about teen pregnancy, yeah that helps society.

10. Alice Ramirez says:

I heard this incident won’t be aired. Too bad. Nobody died nor got hurt, and the production company (or their insurance) will compensate the homeowners and car owner. It would be SPECTACULAR to watch. I hope the producers either change their minds or it ends up on You-Tube.

11. Matt says:

I’m assuming this is the blast range they have called their second home?

There is a reason why Mythbusters are no longer allowed at a certain rock corey, because they set of a bigger then intended blast (knock your socks off) that shattered windows miles away. They are banned from that location.

So the question here is, are they going to be allowed back at this location from this point forward….

12. david says:

The word is affected not effected.

13. valtrex says:

Thanks so much for giving everyone a very splendid possiblity to read critical reviews from this website. It is usually very good and also full of amusement for me and my office friends to visit your site no less than three times weekly to learn the new tips you have got. Of course, I am certainly contented with the breathtaking creative concepts you serve. Some 3 ideas in this article are ultimately the most efficient I’ve ever had.

14. free money says:

hello there and thanks to your info ? I’ve definitely picked up anything new from proper here. I did then again expertise a few technical points the use of this site, since I experienced to reload the website lots of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been thinking about if your web hosting is OK? Now not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading cases occasions will sometimes affect your placement in google and can harm your high quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m including this RSS to my email and could look out for much more of your respective interesting content. Ensure that you replace this again very soon..