COSTA MESA (CBS) — A decorated war hero, who was just days away from losing his home, has experienced an incredible turn of events.

After a suicide bomb attack in Afghanistan, Foster was left with missing teeth, shattered bones in his face, a traumatic brain injury, and chronic back problems.

Foster earned a purple heart and silver star, but he never received the disability payments he was owed.

The Veterans Administration admitted they misfiled Foster’s claim. As a result, he ended up $12,000 behind on his mortgage payments.

The home his grandfather built was scheduled to be taken away by the bank this week.

After CBS2/KCAL9 aired Foster’s story last week, viewers responded with overwhelming support.

The non-profit group Veterans First received several donations on behalf of Foster. A former marine even handed Foster $1,000 cash.

“It’s just a huge burden lifted off my shoulders,” says Foster. “I’m so happy. I had about given up hope.”

Late Monday, an anonymous donor contacted Veterans First with a $12,000 donation for Foster.

The donor told the organization, “I really thank him for what he’s done for our country, and I don’t think I’m doing enough for him.”

Foster was overwhelmed with gratitude by the viewer response.

“I definitely have a lot more faith in me than I did before,” says Foster. “I will do everything in my power to keep on tracking and give back everything I can to the community.”

Deeanne Tate of Veterans First says the bank has agreed to halt the foreclosure.

She also says for the first time ever, the director of the VA called her and said Foster’s payments will be on their way to him within the next few weeks.

Foster says he will donate any overage back to Veterans First, so he can help other vets in situations similar to his.

RELATED: Californians Open Up Their Hearts To Help Veteran Keep His House
War Hero Faces Fight To Save His Home

Comments (11)
  1. Taxpayer says:

Our goverment is pitiful.

2. ginny says:

I find it iroic that the lead stories on the site this moring are about a greedy team owner (McCourt), the greedy Professional Athletes and then we see a story about a disabled serviceman who is being mistreated by the Veterans Administration. The most important one to me is the Vet. Thank goodness people stepped in to help him, he’s the only one woirth media attention.

1. Ron says:

ginny, You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT !!!!

Thank you VERY MUCH Guardian Donor for the $12,000 and the Marine that gave him $1,000 and all others that donated or contributed their time, to spread the word and help get the POSITIVE RESULTS for a VETERAN of OURS that needed HELP.

3. junior says:

Good to hear he was able to receive a donor thank you very much for that act of kindness SEMPER FIDELIS U.S.M.

4. Corinne Anderson says:

I need someone to give me money too!! My roof leaks and I will be flooded in the rains! Help!! I need major money to fix my house. I need to win the lotto NOW!!

5. Corinne Anderson says:

I am also missing many teeth, have major problems, huge huge problems, and I am disabled. I need money for dental work. Help!!

6. Corinne Anderson says:

I’m starving, and I’m freezing!! My house is so cold, and I have so many bugs and spiders in here, and the place is falling apart. It’s a wreck!! I need a miracle, lots of money. Help!!!

7. Corinne Anderson says:

I need a new house, a house with hot water so I can take a bath, a bathtub, one that works. I need a clean kitchen that works. I need tons of money so I can fix up this house and sell it and money to invest and survive on. Help!! Help!!!

1. Ron says:

Corinne, did you fight in the WAR for the U.S. and did you suffer very SERIOUS injuries and risked death, for which you were decorated with the PURPLE HEART MEDAL and the SILVER STAR? Did you qualify for V.A. disability payments for your injuries? If not, then you are BARKING UP the wrong tree.

But if you are a low income senior and need help, contact your city or Habitat Humanity, to see if they can offer you help.

But if this an attempt at SICK HUMOR, then SHAME on YOU and your IGNORANCE !!!