LOS ANGELES (CBS News) — Former Marine Sgt. Dakota Meyer, who was awarded the Medal of Honor by President Thursday, had a simple but unusual request when White House staffers talked to him a few days ago, reports CBS News senior White House correspondent Bill Plante.

Meyer said he would like to have a beer with the president.

Great idea, right? And how could the president refuse?

So it happened. Mr. Obama and the war hero hung out together on the patio outside the Oval Office.

Wondering what brand they were drinking? Are you ready?

It was the White House’s own brew, made with equipment the Obamas bought with their own money; the first beer ever made at the White House, according to historians.

It is White House Honey Ale.

It was the first beer served at the Super Bowl party. A very small batch, 90 to 100 bottles, all consumed that day.

The White House chefs have been brewing since, a little at a time. There was some for St. Patrick’s Day, another batch in June, and the beer served to Sgt. Meyer.

And just for the record: Home-brewing is legal in Washington, D.C.

Plante says he’s never tasted it – but he keeps volunteering!

Unfortunately, the beer isn’t available to the public, but we’ve got some great local microbreweries for you to try: Southern California’s Best Microbreweries

Comments (14)
  1. ransomlb says:

Why would you want to have a beer with this President? Too bad this soldier recieved his Medal of Honor from this clown. But he will always be a National hero. Thanks for doing us proud soldier.

1. ed escude says:

Unlike you, the solider has loyalty and integrity. The president of the U.S., is still the President of the US regardless if you like him or not.

1. ransomlb says:

Are you questioning my loyalty and integrity? I am faithful to my wife, show up everyday to work and produce for this country, vote, and pretty much am a law abiding citizen, so you can stop your stupid argument.

The President has made our soldiers’ job so much harder and so much more dangerous by the crazy rules of engagement, that we should be questioning the President’s loyalty and integrity! Shoot, is even born here to be President?

Enough with that argument because we have even a better one with all of the corruption is his administration. Point 1) Solyndra & Point 2) Pressuring General to change testimony to Congressional committee.

So now all we have to do is wait for this bozo to leave office, and the economic boom will soon be here!!

2. tina says:

u are nothing but a racist pig. with a low self esteem cause you have accomplished nothing in your life.

1. Duh! says:

Who is racist? I see nothing mentioned about race anywhere, except by you. Perhaps it is you who is the racist here.

1. tnscjed says:

I noticed Tina must’ve been correct about you never accomplishing anything in your life. Hey dude, you may not be a racist, but you’re unpatriotic. In this country, it’s patriotic to RESPECT (different than agree with) the President. If the young man wants a beer with HIS president, then so be it. Who are you to rain on a Medal of Honor recepient’s parade? You’re a twit at best. Note that the kid didn’t want a beer with YOU. I don’t think he ever would.

3. Duh! says:

The question to be asked is, why is the president brewing beer instead of running the country?

I know the article says White House chefs have been brewing, but who does the taste testing? One would think that if you bought brewing equipment, you would want to make sure the beer coming out is what you want.

1. Big H says:

NOBAMA 2012

2. joe orange says:

Your a clown, I work 80 hours a week and I still have time to make my own dinner and I usually have a beer with my meal.

Now imagine you are the president, you have a personal chef, along with your other household staff. You sit for dinner that someone else prepared and have a drink. What’s the big deal?

I’m a republican, I think obama is a stand up guy. I don’t like his policies so I don’t vote for him. Do you understand!!

1. ransomlb says:

You think Obama is a stand up guy? What do you mean by that?

Where is the Change? Where is the Hope? Where is all that he promised? Oh wait, he promised that he would take money from people who earn it and give it to people who don’t.

I’m sorry, you must be right because he is doing 1 thing that he promised. Now geve me back my MONEY please!

4. citizen says:

He is a Marine.

5. Carla says:

Ha, cause that’s what we need. More mentally altered people in the White House. 😛 I’m sure it’s delish, tho. B33R!