UPDATE (1:31 p.m.): The suspect, Daniel P. Morgan, has reportedly turned himself in to authorities at Camp Pendleton.
SAN CLEMENTE (CBS) — Orange County Sheriff’s deputies are investigating a bomb threat at San Clemente High School.
Officials said the threat originated at Camp Pendleton after naval corpsman Daniel P. Morgan went AWOL. A search of his barracks around 8:45 a.m. Wednesday found a note that said the officer had planted incendiary devices at the high school, Camp Pendleton officials said.
Morgan, 22, reportedly turned himself in to authorities at Camp Pendleton early Wednesday afternoon.
Sheriff’s deputies had ordered the evacuation of 3,200 students and 180 staff from San Clemente High, located at 700 Avenida Pico, around 9 a.m. Wednesday marked the first day of classes at SCHS.
“At the direction of sheriffs’ officers, the entire SCHS staff and student body were evacuated to the stadium after it was inspected and declared safe,” according to a message posted on the school’s website.
Officials eventually moved students and staff to the school’s gymnasium after it had been deemed safe by officials. They were given food and water.
The Orange County Sheriff’s Department called in eight bomb-sniffing dogs, bomb technicians, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Orange County Fire Authority to assist in the search of the school.
School officials asked that parents not go to the school.
The students had been released for the day, as of 1 p.m., Unified School District spokesman Marcus Walton said.
Parents were advised to call the school district’s rumor control hotline at (949) 234-5575 for more information.