LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Ever heard of duck and cover? Well, apparently thousands of East Coasters haven’t as they ran out of buildings following Tuesday’s 5.8-magnitude earthquake.
With its epicenter in Virginia just outside of Washington D.C., the tremor was felt as far away as New York City, Detroit, Indianapolis and Boston.READ MORE: CHP Says Foot Found On 210 Freeway In San Bernardino Belonged To Pedestrian Struck By Vehicle
East Coasters certainly didn’t seem prepared. People were spotted fleeing from their offices to find “safety.”
Celebrities took to Twitter to express their shock over the unexpected earthquake.
Jersey Shore’s Snooki: 2012 is near! I knew it! I hope everyone’s okay!
Maroon 5’s Adam Levine: Looks like we brought our California earthquake mojo to DC. Oops.
90210’s Shenae Grimes: Hope everyone in Virginia and the places affected by aftershocks are okay. Sending love and bear hugs to my pals in NY.
Singer Jay Sean: There were quake tremors in NY! Hope everyone’s ok! I’m getting a haircut as we speak. Hope there’s no aftershocks. This fade is gonna be messed up.
The Bachelorette’s Ali Fedotowsky: Wow! A 5.9 earthquake on the East Coast! Saying a prayer for everyone! Hope the damage is minimal.
Jersey Shore’s Deena Nicole Cortese: Omgggg we just had a frickn earth quack !!!!! I’m freakinggg out! I meant quake.. Sorry I’m shaking like a leaf and I mispelt it… Get real!”
Actress Elizabeth Banks: “Um, earthquake in north carolina? it’s nice to feel at home but please, don’t go overboard.”
Host Carson Daly: “Things are rollin in NYC now huh? Welcome to cali.”
Real Housewives of Orange County’s Tamra Barney: Earthquake in East Coast? Welcome to our world! Hope everyone is okay!
West coast dwellers are following Daly and Barney’s lead and are even getting in on the tweeting as well. “East Coasters” was trending on Twitter Tuesday, with followers cracking jokes about the earthquake melee.READ MORE: Wind Advisories Issued For Antelope Valley, LA County Mountains Friday
Doktor Buzzo tweets, “East-coasters of there were no burst pipelines or collapsed freeways, keep your “I remember where I was…” quake tales to yourselves.”
Tom Krazit adds, “California sneezes at your 5.8 earthquake, East Coasters.”
But in the end, are we just jaded?
East Coasters, here are FEMA’s tips for earthquake preparedness:
– Take cover under a sturdy desk, table, or bench or against an inside wall, and hold on. If there isn’t a table or desk near you, cover your face and head with your arms and crouch in an inside corner of the building.
– Stay away from glass, windows, outside doors and walls, and anything that could fall, such as lighting fixtures or furniture.
– Stay in bed – if you are there when the earthquake strikes – hold on and protect your head with a pillow, unless you are under a heavy light fixture that could fall. In that case, move to the nearest safe place.
– Use a doorway for shelter only if it is in close proximity to you and if you know it is a strongly supported doorway.
– Stay inside until shaking stops and it is safe to go outside. Most injuries during earthquakes occur when people are hit by falling objects when entering into or exiting from buildings.
– Be aware that the electricity may go out or the sprinkler systems or fire alarms may turn on.
– DO NOT use the elevators.
– If you’re outdoors, stay there.MORE NEWS: Man Approached, Stabbed In Suspected Hate Crime In Ventura
– Move away from buildings, streetlights, and utility wires.