LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Will the Children’s Television Workshop give way to same-sex puppet love?

An online campaign is calling for the producers of TV’s “Sesame Street” to allow characters Bert and Ernie to get married in an attempt to “put an end to the bullying and suicides of LGBT youth”, according to the group’s Facebook page.

The petition letter adds that “[w]e are not asking that Sesame Street do anything crude or disrespectful by allowing Bert & Ernie to marry”, suggesting that the show “even add a transgender character to the show…in a tasteful way”.

While over 900 people have “liked” the group’s Facebook page so far, the comments from visitors are fueling the controversy over whether children should be exposed to homosexuality at such an early age — echoing a similar battle over proposed gay-oriented curriculum in California schools.

“This is not ‘Desperate Housewives’…this is a baby’s program people!” said one commenter.

The group’s Facebook page also includes a photo mocking Christians for their opposition to homosexuality and same-sex marriage.

The two characters — which first debuted in the original “Sesame Street” pilot episode in July 1969 — have long been depicted as bickering best friends who sleep in the same room together.

UPDATE (8/11): Sesame Street issued a statement on their Facebook page Thursday in reaction to the online petition, saying “Bert and Ernie are best friends. They were created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves.”

“Even though they are identified as male characters and possess many human traits and characteristics (as most Sesame Street Muppets™ do), they remain puppets, and do not have a sexual orientation,” the statement concludes.

Comments (245)
  1. Didn’t know Sesame Street was in Alphabet City

2. mamawati says:

You are sick people destroying the social fabric of this country. Going after children is beyond the pale. If you succeed, PBS and all publicly funded television and radio will be strangled of funds and disappear. Is that what you want? You could not have picked a better mission to accomplish that end. How stupid are you?

3. Paul Jankowski says:

Very sad and disturbing

4. Wilbur Post says:

And I expect the second request is to show how they consummate the marriage. Next will be how they raise their offspring. All natural of course. Let the kids understand the pooper can be used for many wonderful things.

1. Mikey says:

Remember that an exit can also be used as an entrance.

5. herdzcatz says:

If I’m not mistaken, the names “Bert and Ernie” were inspired by the best friends of George Bailey in “It’s a Wonderful Life”, both of whom were married. Example 1: the cop Bert had to get home to the missus after viewing the delectable Violet Bates in the street scene, and Example 2: the taxi driver Ernie was confronted by the “never born” George Bailey who asked about his home and wife. Answer was that Ernie lived in a rented dump in Pottersville and his wife had left him years ago. Now if we’d rather live in Pottersville than in Bedford Falls, go ahead. Have Bert and Ernie marry on Sesame Street.

6. Ron H says:

I don’t think Sesame Street is a good format to promote any type of sexual lifestyle, gay, straight, bi, bdsm, whatever. Kids are WAY too young.

7. Cromulent says:

As a Republican, I think its a great idea. Time this one for about 3 weeks before the ’12 election please!

8. Dude says:

When hell freezes over

9. Stacey says:

Leave the sexuality out of childhood……this is not a teaching moment!!! It is and would be very wrong to push this agenda onto children and children’s programming….This is wrong headed and headed in an unnecessary direction…To the people in charge…Use common sense…Do not do this!!! Do not allow this!! Do not introduce children to grown up topics unnecessarily…to fulfill what…? To satisfy someone’s ego and need for self congratulations….to feed someone’s ego…This would be wrong to the nth degree…..

10. Dan says:

Ernie wants it baaaad and Burt will give it to him! Sick fcks. Gotta luv em.

11. Joe Marshall says:

“If it is not broken, don’t fix it!”. Small children should not have to deal with these issues at a tender age, so leave Bert and Ernie alone. I have nothing against Gays and believe that they should be able to be joined under civil law. As long as they do not force their actions in my face, they are entitled to do what they want. I went to high school in a little desert town where we had a student body of 245 kids and 45 in my senior class (1962). It was like one big club and it was like a big group thing and we consisted of Native Americans, whites, hispanics, and blacks. I guarantee you that when you are out in the middle of nowhere, you all stick together. We had one classmate that was gay, everyone knew about Bobby and it was never an issue and if a team came into town with their supporters and started getting on him, since he was probably one of the first male HS cheerleader in Arizona, they would have to deal with the whole student body. R.I.P. Bobby. He passed away in the 80’s from HIV.

12. Dich Simonet says:

What next a bert & ernie sex film ?
    Oh please spare me.
    The dumbing down of america continues.

13. Get a Life says:

I never new they were gay, i thought they were just roomates. So I guess that means that everyone with same sex roommate is gay.. Does that mean that the odd couple were gay too? …Some people really need to get a life

1. keith says:

you never knew? seriously?? damn your momma must have put your in a closet….every kid knew when they were still kids these two were porkin each other and playin on the hershey highway

14. JosB says:

Jim Henson must be turning in his grave to see what the Progressive Liberals are trying to do to his most noble creations….

15. midwestnorwegian says:

Need another push to stop all Federal funding of NPR.

16. Bruce Windsor says:

I am a avid supporter of the 2nd amendment and would like to see the little children educated on this right they have as american citizens, therefore it would be nice to see Bert and Ernie packing heat. Now that makes a lot of since…… what you think…….Just because I have a belief about the 2nd amendment does not make it right to force my convictions on children. If I really feel that strong about the fact this is a good thing then I will let people make up there own mind, once old enough to do so, and not force this on anyone. I believe there is a fine line between freedom of speech and forcing ones views on others, and to beat up children with a personal belief is as wrong as it gets. Children have a tendency to do what is needed to be accepted by their peers and this will occur whether they truly understand an issue or not so lets not put our children in that position and when they are old enough to truly understand adult issues they will decide for themselves.

1. luca says:

Personally, I’d rather see Oscar pull a Glock whenever the punk neighborhood kids get too close to his trash pile, but I see your point.

17. AC says:

C’mon….can anyone see this as anything but an angry gay activist finger-in-the-eye to the 75% of the country that opposes gay marriage? This is the fatal flaw of gay activism…they always go too far, too fast.

And they wind up with gay marriage bans voted into state constitutions.

18. Perry says:

Absolutely nothing against gays here, but what’s the point? They say that it’s to stop bullying in the LBGT community, but let’s remember the target audience for Sesame Street- 1 to 5 years old maybe? At that age the kids don’t even know what “gay” means. Sesame street is about learning, counting, the alphabet, etc. I just don’t think that Sesame Street is the place for it, just let parents talk to the kids about it when the time is right.

19. JervisTetch says:

Whoever is behind this petition is playing into the very worst anti-gay stereotypes out there. There aren’t words in the English language to convey how stupid this is.

20. mesndblues says:

My opinions of Sesame Street have never changed, and never will.. It was creepy then,1968 or so ….and it’s creepy now…

21. JimDeep says:

Any more questions about what is inherently wrong with our society?

22. keith says:

yeah we all know Bert and Ernie play on the hershey highway, but they don’t need to be married on a childrens show….kids are already confused with everything going on around them and don’t need this to confuse them even more

23. Bert says:

Hey Ernie….come here I have a hot beef injection for you!!

24. Ray says:

After reading all these comments, it’s clear that tolerance must be taught at a younger age. All of you preach tolerance but spew hate. Maybe they should introduce a few glbt characters instead of marrying Bert and Ernie though. How could preaching tolerance to any age in any form be a bad thing?

1. Karen says:

Ray – get over yourself. I have nieces and nephews who watch the program. They think gay means happy and that is all their parents want them to know at their age.

The oldest one – 9 – thinks Octomom is sick for unnaturally having babies.

25. Booger McCoy says:

What gay agenda?

26. Barry Bin Inhalin says:

Newsflash: there is no tasteful way to add a transwhatever to ANY show.

27. aidsernie says:

Bert gave Ernie the aids

28. Cece says:

This is just sick. Growing up in this world is hard enough. For crying out loud, let them be children for the few years they are children. Why does the left see fit to ruin every damn thing out there?

29. Earl Lutz says:

Wait, I thought GAYS told us you had to be BORN gay.

30. dlbnext says:

How sick, more Soros money at work destroying american life.

31. sick of this hate says:

why do all of you conservative extremists think being gay is such a bad thing? It’s not like people choose to be gay. I’m sure if gay people could choose not to be gay they would do so because all of you Ignorant bullies terrorize them all the time. Gay youth grow up thinking there’s no one else like them, terrified that they will be harassed and ridiculed by people like you guys. I don’t care if you think that bey gay is wrong, but leave your hate speech off of the internet where your words can scar youth for life. Making crude jokes about gay sex and calling gay people sinners is a much more harmful that saying two puppets are gay. Little kids already know that straight people can have a meaningful relationship, so why not tell them that gay people can as well. I’m not writing this to force any sort of agenda down your throat. I could care less what you all do or think as long as you don’t write hateful things in public places. To all the parents out there, what if your children are? What if they saw all of these comments and decided that they were terrible sinners and maybe they should take their lives? To the teenagers, what if it was your best friend? This hate speech affects people you know and love, whether or not you know it. So for the sake of your families and friends, please reconsider your attitudes if not your opinions.

32. DH says:

No more Sesame Street if they do that.

33. kydinomite says:

My children will not I repeat Will not be allowed to watch this show or that network ever again until they are able to make decisions as an ADULT

34. Dottie says:

Sesame Street is about learning to spell and count and treat others with respect. These are children and should be treated as children. I have no problems with gay people, some are my best friends. I have no problem with gay marriage but I do have a problem with pushing it on 1 thru 6 or 7 year olds. Sesame Street is about preparing the kids for when they start school.

35. MR says:

The comments here are so incredibly disturbing. Its people like you who are damaging society, not “the gays.” I think showing a gay couple on Sesame Street is a positive thing. It has NOTHING to do with sex– if this is the case, then they shouldn’t show a happily married straight couple on tv either. And for the record, I am not gay, I am in a heterosexual marriage, but I am teaching my daughter to love, not hate. And lots of gay people DO have children… either through adoption, IVF or even through natural means.

1. Luca says:

I agree with you, except that Bert & Ernie aren’t gay. They never were. They’re two heterosexual men living together, just like millions of male roomates all over the country. If SS wants to promote a gay couple, then create some NEW characters. You can’t change characters that are already established. That would be like giving Elmo a Russian accent.

2. AZProud2BE says:

Then the Gay Community should come up with THEIR OWN SHOW and market it……….Parents and consumers will decide.

3. Karen says:

MR – you need to take sex ed. It takes MALE sperm and FEMALE egg to make a baby. By definition, gay people CAN NOT HAVE A BABY THROUGH NATURAL MEANS.

Instead of gay history, we should be teaching sex ed.

4. GiGi says:

You did NOT say that some gay people have babies through NATURAL MEANS. What planet are you from?

36. Luca says:

Bert & Ernie aren’t gay. If anyone on Sesame Street should come out of the closet, it is definitely Big Bird. Isn’t it obvious?

37. ellobern says:

This is going too far and could be detrimental to children in that every two guys who share an apartment will appear gay to them.

38. rk says:

Bert and Ernie aren’t gay…end of story.

39. EverydayGuy says:

I’d like to see Elmo the Grouch go to law school and handle the gay divorce.

1. Karen says:

Elmo is not the Grouch. They are separate characters.

40. Larry says:

That’s sick, vile, morbid, abominable. Leave it alone. LORD JEHOVA, I pray for YOUR Kingdom to come

41. Mark says:

This is just plan sick.

42. Karen says:

I always thought Bert and Ernie reminded me of Felix and Oscar. You remember the Odd Couple – the clean Felix and the messy Oscar.

43. Bob Eldridge says:

If it was understood that being gay is as the many other lusts that man is created with, and it is to us to resist these lusts in our lives, to seek to do good in accordance with the spirit of God’s Word, drawing from each others strengths to overcome these weaknesses. Then we can start being presentable examples through which our children can learn. This being a beginning that must be understood, we are the evil that corrupt each other, as we through our lusts seek self in everything.

44. Guest says:

I support gay marriage.

That said,leave Bert and Ernie alone.They are characters on a kids show,for f*cks sake.There is no s*xuality in their relationship.I dont know if they represent adults or not,but they certainly arent s*xual in any way