PASADENA (AP) — Authorities say a man was killed when he fell about 30 feet over a waterfall on a popular hiking trail above Pasadena.

Pasadena Fire Department spokeswoman Lisa Derderian said Monday that Erwin Molina was hiking with three friends when he lost his footing and fell from the top of Eaton Canyon Falls onto rocks below on Sunday.

Derderian says Pasadena and Los Angeles County firefighters responded after a cell phone call from Molina’s companions, and he was unresponsive when they arrived.

Molina was taken by helicopter to Huntington Memorial Hospital, where he was declared dead.

Authorities say Molina is in his 20s, but his exact age and hometown were not clear.

Comments (11)
  1. Good time up Eaton Canyon says:

I have spent my entire life hiking the San Gabriel mountains, there are some nice places to enjoy all over them. Some of those nice places, like above Eaton Canyon is very dangerouse to get to and should done very carefuly. All it takes is one slip, and you arre ass’s out. Sorry to hear another person has lost there life there at the falls. Many others have lost there lives over the years there.

2. JC says:

it’s a great place to hike but dangerous if you goof around. been there several times. it’s a wonderful trail for beginner.

3. anelle (erwins sister) says:

i find ur comment very offensive … my brother ..he was a smart intectual person with a big heart . and our whole family is saddened by this comment .n all the hard times we r facing

1. anelle (erwins sister) says:

this comment was made bcuz a heartless ignorant person earlier said my lil brother was a dork… and i guess he deleted the post.

2. anelle (erwins sister) says:

Really BD MCGEE 4 ur information I am his blood sister. His only sister.!! Why wouldn’t I be reading the article in regards 2 my lil brother. SO HON U NEED 2 GET A LIFE REALLY!! WHY MAKE A NEGATIVE COMMENT? DON’T EVEN COMMENT IF U HAVE ANYTHING NICE 2 SAY… LIKE I SAID THIS COMMENT IS JUST AS OFFENSIVE!!! MAY GOD FORGIVE U FOR 4 UR LACK OF RESPECT 2 MY FAMILY!!! HOPE UR FAMILY WILL NEVER GO THROUGH ALL THE PAIN MY FAMILY IS GOING THROUGH…….

1. Jon says:

BD MCGEE 4 talks bad about everything and everyone.In all his posts.

3. Idalia says:

I’m sorry for your loss
      I knew your brother in high school and I couldn’t believe it
      Again I’m sorry

1. anelle (erwins sister) says:

Thank you Idalia as you know my brother had a great big heart …. and he was loved by many. His service was beautiful!!

4. LUCY says:

Dear BD McGEE, I really hate ppl like u that don’t feel the pain of others. May the devil ride u in hell u big MOFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I hope u never have to go through the pain this family is going through. U must not have a family for u to be writing heartless thoughts….. So F**K u SOB…..

MAY GOD BLESS THE FAMILY OF ERWIN MOLINA

5. BoothV says:

Man I HATE hearing about these tragedies. I’m a hiker and it really hits home. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

I don’t know the situation with this young man and it doesn’t matter. But the reality is that accidents like this can happen to anyone.

HIKING IS THE GREATEST! But please don’t ever think it is like a walk in a park. It’s not. It’s incredibly safe as long as you take the very basic precautions like never, ever leaving a trail. A ‘special’ view isn’t worth it. Just like it wasn’t worth it for those kids who went over the falls in Yosemite.

I’m just hopeful this young man’s tragedy turns in to a lesson for someone else.