RANCHO CUCAMONGA, Calif. (AP) — A former police detective has changed his plea in a California kidnap-rape case to not guilty by reason of insanity.
Prosecutors say 32-year-old Anthony Nicholas Orban kidnapped a waitress at gunpoint in the Ontario Mills mall last year and sexually attacked her in a Fontana park. The then-Westminster detective wasn’t on duty at the time.READ MORE: Initiative To Clear Encampment From Venice Boardwalk Brings 191 People Indoors
Orban earlier pleaded not guilty, but he changed to the insanity plea on Friday.READ MORE: LASD Releases Video Of Fatal Shooting Of David Ordaz Jr., Villanueva Says Deputy Suspended Pending Investigation
Defense lawyer James Blatt says the former Marine who served in Iraq had a psychotic break brought on by prescription drugs and post-traumatic stress.
If convicted, the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin says a jury will decide on his mental state. If he’s then ruled not guilty by reason of insanity, he will be sent to a state mental hospital.MORE NEWS: Heavy Rains Trigger Mudslide In El Dorado Burn Scar Near Big Bear
(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)