LOS ANGELES (CBS) — A vigil was held Thursday for the girl police say was found dumped, nude and in a plastic container along the 5 Freeway near Boyle Heights.

Police believe the container was possibly pushed from a moving vehicle.  Homicide detectives are still working the case.

KCAL9’s Rita Garcia talked to friends and family of the 17-year-old they remembered as a bright, loved girl who got along with everyone.

They were still in a state of shock…searching for answers. They all said the same thing. Who would do such a thing to Michelle Lozano?

Michelle was the oldest of six. She had told her mom she was going to take a walk to the store. That’s the last any of her loved ones saw of her.

They can’t fathom, or maybe it’s better they don’t…how she could have come to such a grisly and unfortunate end.

Her friends and family told Garcia that Michelle had hate and love tattooed on her wrists. Fitting they feel now — love for their sister and hate for the person who ended her life.

Comments (110)
  1. dan says:

One more thing I forgot to say. I don’t know this girl. But I hope shes in a better place R.I.P.And of course this sick f*** is gonna get his punisment. Karma!

2. Cephas says:

John Corpai used to tell a story like that. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’d done it. Sad.

3. retphxfire says:

Perfect..you DO have no brain.

4. Sara Fine says:

it’s so difficult to deal with these unprofessional news articles. I want the i-news journalists to go away and the trained journalists to have jobs.

5. cheyerra says:

@ Gianni,
    are you a sociopath? This is a devestating and horrific loss to the family,community and our whole society and you are giving a grammar lesson? You are an empty shell of a human…
    As a mom of an 18 year old daugher I could not even imagine surviving the pain of losing a beloved child like this….
    To the beautiful victim, RIP within the eternall peace, comfort and everlasting presence of the Lord

6. Jose Gutierrez says:

Press 2 for spanish.

Sexual assault is very very common in Mexico. Most people there got so used to it. That’s why you see it all the time that we make out with our cousin(s). You are such an amelican country boy.

7. J says:

Been There says: “Shame on you who write hateful comments! My goodness! A tragedy like this can happen to anyone . . even those who “stay vigilant”.
    I am a caucasian, and when I was 22, a college student who had never been in trouble or done much besides work and study, I was kidnapped at gunpoint and raped. By a stranger.”

The difference with you is that it could not have been prevented by your mother and/or father. In Michelle’s case, THIS particular crime could have been prevented had she not been allowed to walk to the store alone. When I was 17, my mom didn’t even let my friends and I go to the mall on our own (and we knew how to drive and had cars, as well as the neighborhood being labeled as ‘safe’). She would walk 20 steps behind us in the mall, but she would be there. She trusted us, but she did not trust the disgusting monsters that lurk and prey on young girls. My mother may have been over-protective, but this is a case where it beats being under-protective and not ever seeing your child again.

8. Nancy says:

Today, is January 26, 2012 and a second girl just like Michelle went missing in LIncoln Heights, a body has been found off the 5 fwy similar….they don’t know if it’s the 22 yr old female who went missing Dec 26 in Lincoln Heights. They said Michelle’s was gang related, but this is too similar. Michelle was my cousin as well.