LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Authorities have identified the 73-year-old man who was struck and killed by a Metro bus.

John Wilhite, who was described as a transient, walked outside the marked crosswalk and was killed when the bus struck him Thursday afternoon on Washington Boulevard. Wilhite was pronounced dead at the scene.

A Metro bus was turning right onto Washington from Apple Street when it struck the pedestrian. The driver was just leaving the layover terminal underneath the Santa Monica Freeway, so there were no passengers on board a the time, Metro spokesman Luis Inzunza said.

The driver was interviewed and released at the scene.

Anyone with information about the collision can call detectives at (213) 473-0234 or make an anonymous tip to Crimestoppers at (800) 222-8477.

Comments (7)
  1. drozone69 says:

What they will not tell you is he was hit in the crosswalk and ended up outside the crosswalk.He is poor and no one will ivestigate this on his behalf,Driver was released?Driver should immedietly provide a oral swab test fot drugs.Driver could have drugs in his system,But MTA wished not to expose this in any way

1. Astonished says:

How do you know the driver wasn’t swabbed? Were you there? If so, did you stand up and give the MTA police your eye witness testimony? Anytime someone is killed in a traffic accident, it’s a tragedy. on both sides. To be so callous as to suggest some kind of conspiresy against the man drivint the bus is a reckless and ignorant thing to do Remember, this bus driver gets to live with this the rest of his life.

2. BOperator says:

After ANY accidents involving ANY kind of injury weather there is a fatality or a simple slip & fall Operators are immediately taken to a drug screening. Get your facts straight drozone.

2. John Willhite 4th says:

That was my grandpa and im very hurt by this situation and i thank you (drozone69) for what you posted because you are so right but nothing will be done cause my grandpa was a poor man and only had my dad out there with him who he was not with at the time.

1. anger loco says:

Yo John… So Sorry about your Grandpa… I bet the MTA driver was at fault… Terrible bro. Hang in there and send my respect to your family!!
      God Bless-

2. Romero Hicks says:

I dought if you know me. I knew John and Ronald when they were living on Dalton street. I am their cousin Romero Hicks. I am so sorry to hear of John’s passing. I knew his son also Jon Nelson. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your father.

3. Ben says:

Why weren’t you caring for grand pa?