INGLEWOOD (CBS) —  A man was killed Monday when he plowed his car into the rear of a sport utility vehicle in Inglewood, police said.

The collision occurred at 2:28 a.m. when the Toyota Camry driven by 49-year-old Kenneth Matthews of Los Angeles slammed into a Chevrolet SUV stopped for a red light on Centinela Avenue at Florence Avenue, said Inglewood police Lt. Oscar Serrano. The SUV driver was unhurt.

Matthews, who had been wearing a seatbelt, showed no sign of trauma after the crash, police said, and alcohol, drugs and speed did not appear to have been factors in the crash. Investigators theorize Matthews might have suffered from some type of medical emergency.

The cause of Matthews’ death was expected to be determined by the coroner’s office.

Anyone with information on the accident was urged to call Inglewood police traffic investigator Jeff LaGreek at (310) 412-5134.

Meanwhile, in an unrelated accident, a motorist was declared dead at the junction for the eastbound 118 Freewayand westbound 210 after an early-morning crash.

That crash involved an undertermined number of vehicles, according to the CHP.

Lt. Fred Corral of the coroner’s office identified the deceased as 27-year-old Jesus Escobedo-Martinez of San Fernando.

Comments (14)
  1. Ferris Bueler says:

The man had a medical emergency.Thats not “thinning the heard” it’s called a heart attack.Thining the heard would be if YOU dropped dead Ed.

2. jplguad says:

Ferris ,you were absent from school when they were taeaching SPELLING !
    Damn it,it’s “thinning the HERD” Now go back to remedial school and don’t post anything until then.

1. punisher says:

it’s spelled teaching moron. way to correct others there nuclear physicist. it directly reflects your education and therefore your menial career.

1. bounce says:

Should I bother to point out the problems with the capitalization in your post?

3. TiffDC says:

Amazing! A family just lost a husband and father, and all you care about is punctuaction and technicalities. Along with this family, I’m praying for you too.

1. tiff says:

2. Kami and Ivan says:

Jesus had a good soul, and will be missed by many. My boyfriend Ivan became very close to him, and has been taking his death pretty hard. We just pray that he is in heaven with him mom, whom he missed so much. We are sad that we will never get to spend time with him again. We recently went to Vegas in November and really had a great time with him. We pray for his family, children, and friends who will all miss him so much.

4. erika says:

the 27 yea old ma was my uncle and will everyday be remembered andtruly missed fr he was an amazing person a true giver and wonderful father and uncle,,,we’ll miss you tio

5. BridgetJenkinsScruggs says:

I believe this person might be originally from Denison, Texas and most likely my classmate. Whether it is nor not, I pray for the family.

1. Red says:

he is that’s my uncle.

6. rob says:

My eyes filled up with tears as I heard the news
    It never occurred to me, how much I could lose
    I find myself wishing that it wasn’t real
    Every time I think about it, pain is all I can feel
    Tears fall from my eyes, I can barely see
    But my heart tells me that he’ll always be with me
    I’m glad he feels no pain now-he lives in a perfect land
    I can still feel the soft touch on my shoulder of his loving hand
    I lie in bed and cry at night
    And I don’t feel any better in the morning light
    And I will love and miss him forever
    Until the day we are again together.
    Together in that perfect place above,
    Filled with caring, sharing and love
    But until that day comes- I will wipe my tears away.
    And hopefully see him again someday

***Robert Escobedo***

7. Rob&Stephanie says:

I didnt know Chuy for a long time, but in the short amount of time that i got to know him I saw that he had a very beautiful heart.He was a humble person always lending a hand to help others. Although he is no longer with us, he will always have a special place in the hearts of those who knew him. Always in our thoughts and prayers. Gone too soon.

Stephanie Miranda , Robert Escobedo

8. Katalina Guilcapi says:

Psalm 10:17
    LORD, you know the hopes of the helpless. Surely you will hear their cries and comfort them

My Prayers go to you and your Family.

2 Corinthians 1:3–4
    All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.
    May The lord be with you and your family on this time of pain. Praying with you Praying for You.

9. mayra says:

Jesus had a good soul, and will be missed by many.We just pray that he is in heaven with him mom, whom he missed so much. We pray for his family, children, who will all miss him so much.