DELANO (AP) — A California man attending a cockfight has died after being stabbed in the leg by a bird that had a knife attached to its own limb.

The Kern County coroner says 35-year-old Jose Luis Ochoa was declared dead at a hospital about two hours after he suffered the injury in neighboring Tulare County on Jan. 30.

An autopsy concluded Ochoa died of an accidental “sharp force injury” to his right calf.

Sheriff’s spokesman Ray Pruitt says it’s unclear if a delay in seeking medical attention contributed to Ochoa’s death. Tulare officials are investigating, and no arrests were made at the cockfight.

Cockfighting is a sport, illegal in the United States, in which specially bred roosters are put into a ring and encouraged to fight until one is incapacitated or killed.

Comments (398)
  1. roberto says:

Obviously had necrotizing fasciitis. Its the only thing that moves that fast.

2. TGC says:

Wow, killed by a chicken. I don’t think they will let you into heaven if you are killed by a chicken! I wonder if any of the other chickens had money riding on the killer rooster.

3. JustAGuy says:

I nominate Jose Luis Ochoa for a Darwin Award!

4. ROBERT CAGLE says:

THE FATHERS OF OUR GREAT COUNTRY FOUGHT CHICKENS ONTHE WHITE HOUSE LAWN. CHICKENS ARE FAUGHT IN EVERY STATE IN OUR COUNTRY,THIS WEEK ,NEXT WEEK ,AND FROM NOW TILL THE END OF TIME AND EVEN BEFOR TIME .THEY ARE FOUGHT WORLD WIDE, FAR EAST ,NEAR EAST ,ENGLAND ,AMERICAN,NORTH AND SOUTH. CHATTANOOGA TENESSEE THIS WEEK A PET COPPERHEAD SNAKE BIT AND KILLED ITS OWNER. LAST YEAR A STING RAY KILLED AWELL KNOWN FISH LOVER. ACCIDETS HAPPEN THER IS NO ANSWER ,SO DO GOODERS NOW WHAT.

5. TCO says:

All You people who are saying this man deserved what he got are just plain ignorant, I bet if it was one of your family members or someone you knew you wouldnt be saying things like that. And dont give me all this BS and say, “Oh my family members or friends wouldnt participate in anything like that.” YEAH RIGHT never say never, no one is perfect in this world. Prayers go out to this man’s family and friends.

6. ctabb says:

My heart breaks for these roosters and all abused animals. As for the savages who enjoy these fights? I couldn’t care less for them.

7. Shelly says:

That’s bs….serves him right. U wanna play with fire ur gonna get burnt. Serves him right. Ppl need to burn in hell for animal cruelty. Pick on someone ur size. Roosters rule I had a watch dog named Oreo the rooster. They protect.

8. bruce tominello says:

Natural Selection at work!

9. SerfOfObama says:

Why oh why couldn’t it have been a dog biting Michael Vick’s empty head off instead?

10. Doug O says:

This guy was fighting a chicken and the chicken pulled a knife on him? I think I will switch to fighting fish.

11. Wookie says:

Adios Muchacho !

12. nunya says:

In socialist America! Rooster keel you!

13. Kris Tampa says:

What a happy ending!! :))

14. John says:

Hey vato, lets put razors on roosters and watch them fight each other……..good one homes, I’ll go get some beer aye……VIVA MEXICO!!!

15. Frosty says:

Poetic Justice. The sport is Barbaric.

16. ratonalist says:

No reason for a deportation hearing now

17. Albert Barlow says:

Didn’t the chicken realize he was roosting in a sanctuary city?

El pollo loco, si?

18. May says:

No matter what I’m thinking of this guy & others who take part in animal abuse, I’m trying not to be happy at the loss of a human life & soul here but we reap what we sow in life. God created animals & is heart broken when they are abused. As stupid as this may sound to those who do not believe, I actually pray for abused & neglected animals whenever the thought of them comes to mind. St. Francis of Assisi is patron saint of animals & whenever I think of it, I invoke his prayers for animals. I would encourage other animal lovers to also pray for them whenever the thought of them comes to mind.

1. tastelikechiken says:

I LOVE ANIMALS TOO. ESPECIALLY WHEN THIER ON MY GRILL!

19. Corey Zabel says:

Cluck Cluck shank

20. Northlander says:

Anyone who participates in such sadistic nonsense deserves what he gets.

21. Hollow Ogichi says:

Finally some justice. I want more justice like this in the world.

22. WMB says:

Another story from the multicultural wasteland, isn’t diversity grand

23. mmmm? says:

So, why does a Mexican steal an American’s identity (i.e.Social Security number)???..just curious to see the comments to THAT question!

24. Mike Merryman says:

What a stupid way to die!

25. frank says:

now if we can just get a dog to get micheal vick next time this creep attends a dog fight!

26. Dan says:

Let this be a lesson to all of the people from south of the border who bring their customs to America!

27. scott says:

this is interesting, the government wont build a fence to combat illegal immigrants, so the people are sending out covert roosters with weapons to do the job. Hurray.

28. matter of fact says:

plain and simple an eye for an eye thats how it should be in Human life as well “)

29. John says:

One ass hole down.
    Vic, and millions to go

30. tastelikechiken says:

I like chicken basted with a garlic glaze with a ginger puree. grill for 40-45 mins at 375. serve with wild rice pilaf, garlic bread and a bitter green salad.

31. homer noodleman says:

I don’t even know where to start with this one. I’m going to bed.

32. JosB says:

Siento mucho. NOT!

33. Riverside Rick says:

Why weren’t any arrests made? The owner of the rooster should be charged with murder.

34. Armando says:

To all of you idiots just keep eating you fast KFC meals and find out how they kill your food

1. tastelikechiken says:

this idiot like to swiftly chopoff the head and toss it in hot h20 to easily pluck the it. them to the bbq grill. tastes real yummy. u should try it armandonito. 🙂

35. ed says:

a knife attached to the leg? I was under the impression that the roosters attacked with “spurs” that were part of their legs and with their beaks

36. Leticia says:

wow the tension created by hispanics is pretty high!! Way to go, I guess we must be ahead… Unless you are native american you should not talk about being illegal, this was once Mexican territory and soon to be once again!!!! Viva Mexico!!! We along with the indians are the only true natives!!!

1. charleton gomez says:

mintirarosa,leteicia.the mexicans are not the true natives.the MAYANS and AZTECS were.
      you came from spain when the spanish invaded and tried to kill the indians.and also interbreeded with them.
      my mayan friend also says that there were anglos and mediterrean people BEFORE THEM in mexico thousands of years ago(he said they built the pyramids..ALSO in norte america BEFORE the american indians.kenniwick skeleton for example among hundreds of other examples.the indians admit this!!!
      stop being a racist chola.

37. Kannah Belflower says:

If the people who wrote this story would writ about all the abused children in yhe USA,we would be a lot better of

38. Peter Ian Staker says:

Rooster fighting is as old as human civilization, roosters fight in the wild they will just take longer to kill each other without blades, it is nice to see all the hate for a human being and “love” for a dumb animal that would peck out your eyes if given the chance. This story has become more about the seething under current of racism in America than bloodsport. So who is more primitive? Someone who engages in a bloodsport that is thousands of years old? Or the pathetic racists who only give a damn because it gives them a chance to demean another culture.

The best thing is most people who foam at the mouth over immigration voted for Bush twice, Bush the govenor from a border state who did NOTHING for two terms, during which the most devastating attack every on American soil occured.

39. Hoke Moseley says:

Remember, Knives don’t kill people, Roosters kill people!

40. fun video says:

Great items from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff prior to and you are just too wonderful. I really like what you have received here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you assert it. You are making it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it smart. I can not wait to learn much more from you. This is really a great site.