LOS ANGELES (AP) — The former mayor of Lynwood has been re-sentenced to more than 15 years in federal prison in what authorities say is one of the longest sentences ever issued in a federal political corruption case.

U.S. District Judge R. Gary Klausner on Tuesday found Paul Richards was properly found guilty of a bribery or kickback scheme to deprive Lynwood of its right to honest services and to cause the city to suffer losses of more than $2.5 million.

Richards had appealed his original sentence in 2006 to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which ultimately remanded the case back to Klausner for reconsideration.

Klausner also denied Richards’ request to be released on bond while he asks for another appellate review.

© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments (10)
  1. David says:

I can’t understand how it was that no-one knew this was going on. To the point of 2.5 million? Oh and he only got a kickback of that amount to do some dirty work!?? That’s too bad. A Mayor eh?

2. Fasina Falade says:

They need to investigate the school board and others in Lynwood. Crazy things going on. He didn’t do this by himself.

3. ene says:

He was not alone for sure. I bet other cities, too. Meyor, si.

4. john says:

they need to investigate long beach PD also those guys are criminals also.

5. ANNON says:

Are you kidding me, This has been going on in Lynwood since 1994 and everyone was aware of it. Thats why he was fighting it for all these years, 10 to one almost everyone on the counsel during that time was into some dirt including Byrd, Rea, and a few others that had something to gain. I know this because i was fighting this with Benny Miranda back then.

1. Sam Plunkett says:

I was working with Benny Miranda back then too. Sam Plunkett 310-218-8340 And absolutely he was fighting it, we all knew. Rea was the sheriff deputy I believe. He tried to frame me with weapons charges with Benny. Was a jerk.

6. King Untouchable says:

good time to clean out those punk fake sheriffs in lynwood

7. King Untouchable says:

tell him to flip on everybody or he’s getting 50 years to life next year and King Untouchable promises that

8. FFL says:

Wonder why there are no pictures of Paul Richards? I have searched and searched the internet and ALL have been systematically removed. Humm? Could it be -naa just a suspicious mind I guess-