MALIBU (CBS) — Television star Ricki Lake, her two children and their dog all safely fled their beachfront house on Pacific Coast Highway as it burst into flames Saturday.

Authorities said Lake was trying to refuel a portable heater when a couch caught fire.

She and her two sons, ages 9 and 13, evacuated quickly and were standing outside the rented home when the first fire truck rolled up.

The home, in the 18900 block of PCH, suffered extensive damage in the fire, which broke out at 7:28 a.m.

The first firefighters on the scene put hoses down from the highway onto the beach and sprayed water up into the structure’s wooden piers, witnesses said.

Flames rose 30 feet on the air as the attic and roof burned. Firefighters used power tools to cut into gates at adjacent houses to protect them.

PCH was closed in both directions about 1/2 mile northwest of Topanga Beach, and motorists were told the state highway would be blocked for two hours.

(©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

Comments (11)
  1. vudu says:

    Tmz said it was being rented by former talk show host Ricki Lake. No casualties though……. kcal9 has been deleting post from people all morning…, let’s see if this one stays.

  2. Bob White says:

    Refuel a portable heater? Who does that anymore?

  3. Jip says:

    Another woman that feels she can do anything!

  4. general ike says:

    Refuel the heater, what BS I’m guessing one of the kids torched the place

    1. vudu says:

      Its a possible scenario……. very likely she’s not smart enohgh to turn off the heater before pourin more flammable liquid in it…… that will do it everytime.

  5. Bubba Rump says:

    Yeah, Jip, you got that right.

    So that’s why it took two hours to get to Paradise Cove for breakfast this morning…

  6. bugman says:

    potable heater in summer time,even at the coast? come on!

  7. ginny says:

    Glad that she and the kids got out alright. If I was the owner of this home I would be one angry person right now. Wonder if his insurance will cover this fire because of how it started.

  8. ReginaM says:

    The couch caught fire. Was she refueling the heater in the living room?

  9. duncan says:

    I think they meant a couch outside on the deck. I assumed she was refilling a heat-lamp.

    Responding to bugman’s comment, YES, we need heaters in malibu this summer. It has been freezing and foggy!

  10. wguru says:

    Porch floor still intact, such heaters are all metal, so likely no such heater was involved (besides, aren’t the outside space heater’s all natural gas fed?). Something doesn’t sound right. Maybe idiocy, maybe we’re not hearing the ‘whole’ story.

Leave a Reply