LAPD Chief Charlie Beck says there were “issues with supervision at the scene” where three police officers fatally shot an unarmed man following a high-speed chase last year.
That figure represented the largest out-of-court settlement against the LAPD in more than 12 years.
The Los Angeles City Council agreed Wednesday to pay $5 million to settle a lawsuit filed by the family of a disabled veteran who was fatally shot by Los Angeles police after a pursuit.
The Dec. 13 shooting followed a nearly hour-long nighttime pursuit for allegedly reckless driving that ended when the Corvette hit a car in an intersection, seriously injuring the other driver, and then spun onto a downtown sidewalk.
The family of the Corvette driver shot and killed following a high-speed chase with law enforcement last week said they will file a claim against the Los Angeles Police Department for $20 million in damages.
Family members claim LAPD officers did not need to open fire on Brian Beaird, a disabled veteran who was killed Friday after leading police on a high-speed pursuit. Police Chief Charlie Beck spoke about the investigation Monday and insisted events that night may have appeared more threatening from an officer’s perspective.