LOS ANGELES (CBSLA/AP) — London’s Old Vic theater said Thursday it has received 20 allegations of actions that spanned “a range of inappropriate behavior” against Kevin Spacey, its former artistic director.

The allegations cover interactions between 1995 and 2013, and all of them deal with men. The reported incidents range from behavior that made people feel uncomfortable to “sexually inappropriate” touching. There were no allegations of rape.

gettyimages 869418644 Londons Old Vic Theater Receives 20 Allegations Against Kevin Spacey

The Old Vic theatre on the Cut in central London on November 2, 2017.
(Photo by DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS/AFP/Getty Images)

“During his tenure, The Old Vic was in a unique position of having a Hollywood star at the helm around whom existed a cult of personality,” the theater said in a statement. “The investigation found that his stardom and status at The Old Vic may have prevented people, and in particular junior staff or young actors, from feeling that they could speak up or raise a hand for help.”

Long a leading light in theater and film, Spacey is one of the biggest names to lose work and standing in Hollywood since The New York Times and The New Yorker detailed sexual harassment and abuse allegations against film mogul Harvey Weinstein earlier this year. The reports sparked a wave of abuse and harassment allegations to surface across the industry.

Since actor Anthony Rapp first recounted to Buzzfeed Spacey’s alleged sexual advance when he was just 14 years old and Spacey was 26, Spacey has also been fired from the Netflix TV series “House of Cards” and dropped by his talent agency and publicist. As more allegations were made public by Richard Dreyfuss’ son and the son of a former news anchor, Ridley Scott made the unprecedented decision to cut Spacey out of the already finished film, “All the Money in the World” and replace him with Christopher Plummer.

The allegations follow an investigation that a law firm began in October at the request of the theater, amid reports being circulated about Spacey’s behavior while being its artistic director from 2004 to 2015.

Richard Miskella, a partner at law firm Lewis Silkin who led the investigation, said the firm invited Spacey to participate in the investigation “and he didn’t respond.”

Miskella said he found no evidence that suspicion about Spacey’s behavior was common at the Old Vic.

“There wasn’t widespread knowledge of this,” he said.

Old Vic executive director Kate Varah said this was “a really dismaying time” for the theatre and apologized to the victims.

(© Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Los Angeles

facebook.com/CBSLA
Plan Your Trip
Follow Us On Twitter

Watch & Listen LIVE