#CBSLAHelps: On Thursday, CBSLA is teaming up with the American Red Cross to raise money for victims of the Southern California firestorms. Donate now or text CBSLAHELPS to 75759 to learn more | Share Your Story

PASADENA (CBSLA) — There was something missing at Pasadena’s Apple Store for the Friday release of the iPhone 8 – a line of eager fans.

Previous releases of the iPhone attracted hundreds of Apple fans waiting in the early morning hours at several stores across Southern California.

The Apple Store has a ticketing system, but that never stopped eager iPhone fans from camping out overnight.

But on Friday morning, all was quiet on Colorado Boulevard, except for employees inside the store handing out tickets.

STORY: Apple Unveils 3 New iPhone Models

The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus touts new features like wireless charging, new camera features, and a faster processor.

The lack of a line may be due to more people waiting for the November release of the iPhone X, which has a more drastic redesign.

The updated Apple Watch and Apple TV also went on sale Friday.

Comments (64)
  1. Could it be that the existing phones are so good and the next generation improvements are not significant enough to warrant buying an $800 phone?

1. Mat Helm says:

or could it be that those “new” features have been available for month/years from other makers…

1. Fred Stevens says:

^^ This.
        For work-related reasons I switched from a Galaxy to an iPhone 8. I was quite disappointed by the number of missing features and overall poor function of the iPhone compared even with my previous 2 Galaxies. My overall impression:

iPhones suck.

2. Bob Johnson says:

Apple sold 78 million iPhone 7’s as of Jan 2017. You do the math.

2. Dont worry Apply will be pushing a lot of updates to obsolete existing equipment to force you to buy a new one

3. What does this new phone do that my old one doesn’t, do I need those things, and is it worth $1000? The answer to many is simply “no.”

4. They’re waiting for the much better Google Pixel 2

5. Quick, Timmy, rush out a rainbow one! Fabulouth!

6. Tad Belknap says:

too expensive to talk and text…and I don’t do much of either

7. What I don’t understand is why my wife’s Iphone 8 plus order at Best But is being delayed for up to 1 month if there is such a small demand for the phone.

1. Sony played this game with their Wii controllers years ago. They had plenty of stock in the US. But they held back the quantity delivered to BB and other retailers for a year. It caused a massive demand spike that made Sony huge sales and profits. People lined up every morning at BB just to get one Wii controller. Only ten were available every morning. Some mornings none. Apple has to play the same game to keep interest up. My idiot siblings always buy the newest iPhone. Not a peep from them this time around. I’m not going to ask why.

8. Well maybe because the news today is that Apple and its surrogates at the phone companies got caught purposely throttling back older phones to “encourage” their faithful to upgrade..If found out to be true Apple needs to be shut down…

9. All cults eventually crash and burn; the iCult is no different.

10. Its official, android is eating up Apple. I remember talking to a Lexus salesman years ago who said “Lexis is giving Mercedes fits.”

We need longer battery life, bigger wording on the screen, especially for the time and text messages. Bring back the headphone plug, only the very old ear buds are comfortable. Talk to your customers and listen to what they want.

But if you are a Mac Head, it still makes sense to use iPhones that sync.

11. Jerry Paris says:

I blame it on Hurricane Maria. And the Emmys. And election night coverage. And the release of
    Stephen King’s “IT”.

And the Russians, of course…

12. Jim Higgins says:

Who gives a rip any more about grossly overpriced toys tha Tim “Me Too” Cook tossed out? I really miss Steve Job’s innovatiopn ability. Apple-yawn.

13. Rick Meyer says:

The most over hyped things in the world. I phone, Amazon, and Starbucks coffee.

14. Ross Phipps says:

why buy a new phone the world ends 9/23/17

15. Apple has jumped the shark as far as IPHONES are concerned. Mine is paid for and is about 3 yrs old and I WILL NOT pay the terrible price just to have a new one. If they try and force us out of the ones we have, I will switch to Samsung. No big deal to just have a phone Then I would NEVER have to use ITUNES either, It is sounding better now that I think about it. Samsung we might become friends soon. Apple tells us what we want, not what we really find important. I get sick of all the apps I can’t delete but are still in a folder in the back of my phone. Apple ear buds do not fit my years and I am not going to pay the price they want for the blue tooth ear buds. I already have some good ones. It will re charge with out plug in but they say it does not work that well yet. Ah darn how many years have others been doing it. My car takes all the other ones and can charge them. Apple is too arrogant for their own good. YEP I think it has jumped the shark and this Iphone will wallow in the water and sink.

16. Mark Hoefle says:

Ridiculous story – no one lines up for tickets anymore, when you can pre-order on line, set a time and just go pick it up, or have it delivered to home or office. Oh, and all the pre-sales inventory is already sold out, if you order today, you have a two week wait.

17. Have the i-phone zombies finally reached their limit of gigs. Or are most already braindead ?

18. Could it be if it was made in America and was $800 people would buy it.

19. Jim Pratt says:

Just another overpriced Apple money grab.

20. Gene Easley says:

Maybe people are finally waking up to the fact that the tech companies are a dog and pony show, snake oil salesman who trap you into an unaffordable addiction.

21. jbrickley says:

Well that just means the iPhone X is going to be much harder to obtain… The diehards are not lining up for the iPhone 8, they want the X and there are going to be some serious delays as component supply chain problems are ongoing. Knew it was a mistake to release the 8 and X at the same time. It’s definitely going to put a dent in 8 sales. Many people are going to be angry when they pre-order to find delivery pushed back into next year.

22. $1,000.00? “A Phone Too Far”.

23. My $150 dollar Android phone does it all.

24. Could the slow Apple sales be the result that the, “Snowflakes and Cupcakes” have final figured it out? After all doesn’t the $400.00 phone works as good at the $800.00 one?

25. Lou Privee says:

All Apple electronics is junk and not durable.

26. mconnor655 says:

Still, no reason to replace my Nokia 8210.

27. Could it be tha the Iphone idiots finally woke up?

28. After what they did with the latest rev of iTunes, they can pretty much stick it where the sun doesn’t shine. as for the new phone itself, a phone is supposed to be a commodity product, and given the amount of personal information that google and apple (et, al.) covertly harvest from their respective products, I feel that the we the consumer should be given a hefty discount. Apple can get bent if they think I’m going to shell out close to quadruple digits of something that’s going to be obsolete in less than a year, and doesn’t work nearly as well as the old clam shell phones. News flash guys, some of us still use phones for talking, so call quality and reception is pretty important, even in the boonies.
    Maybe I’ll reconsider should any of them release a decent phone for 200 or 300 bucks. But until then, no thank you.

29. Ethan Wayne says:

I’m sure Apple will find a way to blame Trump…..

30. Tim Cook will run apple into the ground, I knew that when I saw him cross pollinate brands by buying beats. I wonder what kind of kickbacks he got off that sale from Dr Dre? Apple died when Jobs died, Tim Cook is not an innovator, he’s an imitator.

31. Ray King says:

Thanks, but i will stick with Android. I know lots of EX Apple owners that now use Android and they aren’t going back.

32. Jerry Stumbo says:

I’ve got an old One Plus and it is still a great phone.. The latest One Plus 5 has a ton of features and cost only ~ $500. Even Consumers Reports rate it as an extremely good buy. It comes unlocked but it apparently isn’t compatible with Verizon nor Sprint.

33. Carl Ball says:

as with there i macs of the late 80’s they seem to over price everything they make. which lead them to bankruptcy and with bill gates infusion got back to #1 with the ipod. who wants to pay a thousand for a 16gb phone. if they want change and buyers put in a sd card slot! now that would be worth buying. i will happily stay with my 6 plus. it’s paid for and works great

1. Bob Johnson says:

“Apple sold more iPhones than ever before — 78.3 million — and snapped a three-quarter streak of iPhone unit sales declines. Analysts had expected the company to sell 78 million iPhones in the period, Apple’s biggest of the year. The results fueled its highest-quarter revenue and per-share earnings ever.”

Apparently Apple does know better than some people…I also own their stock, it’s been doing great too.

34. Bob Johnson says:

WOW another story about how Apple is going to fall flat on their faces. Do you people support Hillary too? Or is it just that some people are so jealous they can’t stand anyone else’s success.

Windows lost the battle for the hearts and minds of intelligent people, long,long ago…let it go. Remember Balmer’s rant about the iPhone…that’s the standard you need to show to get attention.

35. Bobbie Irish says:

Not many people I know can even afford to pay $1,000+ for a cell phone, even with the Apple name on it. Reports of problems even before launch also discouraging. Cook is cooked.

36. This really should come as no surprise. The industry is extremely mature and Apple is just playing catch up; right down to the Samsung OLED screens.

Also, people, for perhaps the first time; actually have to pay for these things and eyes are wide when they see the price.

Me? We’re on Galaxy S-5’s because it’s the last model to have replaceable batteries. And they’re fine and are missing no features. They already plate charge and Apple just came out with it? Really???

These are S-5’s I’m talking about folks. Many of us have been laughing at the Apple Fan Boys for a great many years.

37. iratenate says:

So, it seems Apple has finally found the price that idiots are no longer willing to line up for. Good for you, Apple.

38. I bailed from Apple. I got tired of the new IOS versions turning 3 year old iPhones into bricks. There is no doubt in my mind that Apple intentionally forces the older models to run painfully slowly to ENCOURAGE you to buy a new model. I can understand if you play games on your phone that newer ones would need more processing power, but when all I do is telephone, calendar, banking, browsing, and taking photos and videos there is no reason my once speedy iPhone should run like a snail. I am an electronics engineer turned computer engineer of nearly 40 years, so I understand intimately how every electron flows in today’s computers. My iPhone 4 became useless in 3-4 years. I had to give it up 3 years ago. It’s funny how my son’s even older Samsung Android phone still runs quite well. notice that Apple refuses to sign old IOS versions that you iPhones were released with. Why is that? If you can manage without upgrading your iPhone or apps that work just fine I would recommend doing so and maybe your phone will be useful for a longer period. Now that Apple has removed the headphone jack and then forcing iPhone X users to have their faces scanned I am convinced I made the correct choice. I hope Apple is one day sued for these immoral, if not illegal practices.

39. Why pay that price when China will just clone it and sell if for 39.95 two weeks later? LOL!