Barbecue Mishap Blamed For Fire That Destroys 4 Condo Units In Chatsworth

CHATSWORTH (CBSLA.com) — A fire destroyed four condos in Chatsworth Tuesday afternoon.

Officials blamed a mishap with a propane barbecue grill for igniting the out-of-control blaze.

Firefighters seemed to be gaining the upper hand on the fire in one unit when fire poked through the roof of the adjoining apartment. The fire then quickly spread to two more units.

The condo complex is located in the 22100 block of James Alan Circle.

Officials were originally called to the scene about a fire in a garage just before 5 p.m.

KCAL 9’s Rachel Kim said firefighters were hampered in the battle due to 35 mph winds.

Part of the roof collapsed.

About 120 firefighters battled the blaze.

Investigators said a homeowner was barbecuing on his patio when his propane tank developed a leak.  The flames spread into a garage and then into the adjacent units.

Two firefighters suffered injuries — one a dislocated shoulder, the other burns to a hand.  Both are expected to be okay.

No residents were injured.

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Los Angeles

facebook.com/CBSLA
Plan Your Trip
Follow Us On Twitter

Watch & Listen LIVE