LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Hopefully, you didn’t try fly today with a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 in your possession.
A nationwide ban went into effect at noon today prohibiting air travelers from bringing the smartphone on board.
CBS2’s Laurie Perez was at LAX where the new regulations took some travelers by surprise.
“Yeah, I feel like I should be on Survivor, maybe,” Shaun Harris said.
Perhaps that’s going a little far, but Harris is trying to survive traveling without his smartphone — that means no phone, no contact information, no nothing.
The Pittsburgh native has a pretty good attitude considering he says in the middle of a month-long business trip and that he was not allowed to board his flight from LAX to Portland this morning because he had his Galaxy Note 7.
On Friday, the US Department of Transportation along with the FAA announced an emergency order banning he Galaxy Note 7 from all flights from or within the United States.
This comes after several reports of some devices overheating or even catching fire.
Samsung announced earlier this week that it’s recalling all the original and replacement Galaxy Note 7’s as well.
If you show up at the airport with the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, you either have to have someone come pick it up, or agents at the gate will re-book you on a later flight.
The Department of Transportation says the Note 7 is not allowed in carry on or checked bags even if it’s turned off — anyone who violates the ban may be prosecuted or fined.
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 owners can return them for a different device or a full refund.