LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com/AP) — The Lakers made a political statement before their first preseason game Tuesday night by locking arms during the national anthem.

The statement was the latest entry in a national series of protests across sports in recent weeks designed to raise awareness of racial injustice and other social problems.

It’s an issue that has been addressed by high school, college and pro teams in the U.S. often since San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick first refused to stand for the national anthem in August.

The Lakers’ anthem protest had been rumored for weeks.

Other NBA teams including the Rockets, Raptors and Knicks have also locked arms in protest during the anthem before preseason games.

The Lakers beat the Kings in the game 103-84.

(TM and © Copyright 2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments (13)
  1. cb21 says:

okay, they are showing the world they no longer respect the USA and the Flag but what are they doing off the court to find solutions to the issues they’re trying to raise awareness about?! absolutely NOTHING that I can see! I have family members who died so these men have the right to do this but it breaks my heart to see them show such blatant disrespect to the ultimate sacrifices my loved ones made. it just seems they’d want to take a leadership role and use their high profile names and social status to promote positive solutions and discussion about the issues…I guess it’s easier to show disrespect than find solutions. what a shame.

2. Jrt says:

Cb21 could not agree more. What needs to be addressed is the attitudes and upbringing of those whom the spoiled prima donna athletes are backing.

1. cb21 says:

You want to know another thing about Transgender people. Well, you pu$sies think I need so much protection when I already get paid more licking buttlips than what most of you’ll ever see with or without these people. Jail is punishment, but constitutionally it can’t be “cruel or unusual,” so every time you brain dead pu$sies give in and vote for more tough on crime laws check the “ferry dust” coming from my butt. Transgender is not sexual deviance, know your terms, dumba-$ses.

I’m MIKE, the Original Internet PU$SY BlTCH, I get b1tch slapped by GROWAPAIR so I lick BUTTH0LES and jack off screen names

3. alter says:

This misguided behavior will definitely hurt this franchise. I was born in Los Angeles and followed this team all my life. No more. I’m through with this team and I will no longer be a season ticket holder. I really miss the Great Western Forum days.

4. GROWAPAIR says:

Yeah, I’m KELVIN STEPHEN. I’m a hardened thug. I don’t like woods or south siders. I was picked up for criminal threats, and got a beat down in the process. Robert Hale got me a plea deal. They segregate “gays” and I learned about Allah in there. They also give you free meds. Go for it. Be careful, or I’ll hijack your name, like I did to nobama, America, and everyone else I hate.

5. GROWAPAIR says:

WHEN I GET ON MY KNEES, IT’S NOT ONLY WHEN THE ANTHEM PLAYS 🙂

1. Jrt says:

PU$SY MIKE, yeah we all know that your tongue plays butt holes, beyotch 🙂

1. cb21 says:

Yeah, I’m PU$SY MIKE the BIPOLAR INTERNET BlTCH . I don’t like woods or south siders. I was picked up for criminal threats, and got a beat down in the process. Robert Hale got me a plea deal. They segregate “gays” and I learned about Allah in there. They also gave me free meds. Go for it. Be careful, or I’ll hijack your name and try to lick your nuts, like I do to Trump, nobama, GROWAPAIR, KELVIN STEPHENS, America, and everyone else I hate and who b1tch slapped me

But all of you already know this 🙂

6. cb21 says:

I don’t understand why someone would hijack my moniker to write such hateful things on this blog. use your own name to write your disgusting messages.

1. alter says:

Okay, I will and thanks for licking my butt hole, I don’t wipe, just the way you always like it.

2. Jrt says:

My butt hole thanks you too, beyotch

7. alter says:

Hey CBS. Time to change the format to filter out the mentally ill.

1. cb21 says: