Teen Who Started ‘Fontana Killer Clown’ Scare On Social Media Is Arrested

FONTANA (CBSLA.com) — A Fontana teenager was arrested Wednesday as authorities issued warnings about people dressed as clowns and making threats towards residents in multiple Southern California cities.

Fontana police said the 14-year-old suspect was identified as the “FontanaKillerClown” on social media.

The teen claimed “his intention was to scare people and see how many followers he could obtain on his social media site,” according to a press release by the Fontana Police Department.

A statement on the Facebook page for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Lancaster Station noted at least three incidents of “a group of males…wearing clown masks and possibly carrying a kitchen knife, approaching several pedestrians.”

“In all three incidents, there was nothing taken from the victims and it appears that the group of suspects is only trying to scare the victims,” the statement said.

It wasn’t known whether the mask-wearing men were adults or juveniles, authorities said.

The sheriff’s department also warned residents to “stay aware of their surroundings” after dozens of “scare tactic” style videos were posted online.

Also posted online was a video showing dozens of students at Cal State Northridge running away from a reported clown sighting.

One person tweeted: “My friend was just chased by a clown at the Dorms!!! #CSUN”

The advisories were issued on the heels of earlier reports of unconfirmed clown sightings and possible hoaxes in Murrieta and Temecula.

An Instagram page – one of many dedicated to clown threats and sightings – has also popped up with photos of several Southern California locations, including Carson High School and the Arthur Johnson skate park in Gardena, along with the following caption: “We will be invading Los Angeles, Carson, Culver City, Torrance, Crenshaw, Inglewood, Pasadena, Compton, Lakewood, Palmdale etc. !! be ware (sp)”.

Multiple pages devoted to reported clown sightings and threats have popped up on social media. (Screengrab via Instagram)

One post featuring a clown next to a “Free Hugs” graffiti sign says, “Going to Carson high school tomorrow”.

Even with more than three weeks left until Halloween, some school officials are issuing guidelines on how to deal with clown sightings, including Syracuse University, which warned students in a public safety memo (PDF) against committing “any physical attack or harassment” against anyone seen wearing a clown mask or costume.

“Since wearing a costume is not a crime, any physical attack or harassment on such person could be a crime”, the memo stated.

(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Joe says:

“Could be a crime?!” It WOULD be a crime!!

1. Joe says:

I’m a “expletive” butt licker. NO Hillary Clinton 2016!!! I back Black Lives Matter and the LGBT community. Love Trumps Hate!!!

I’m PU$SY MIKE the BIPOLAR INTERNET BlTCH and I lick Trump nuts.

1. Joe says:

Yeah, I’m PU$SY MIKE the BIPOLAR INTERNET BlTCH . I don’t like woods or south siders. I was picked up for criminal threats, and got a beat down in the process. Robert Hale got me a plea deal. They segregate “gays” and I learned about Allah in there. They also gave me free meds. Go for it. Be careful, or I’ll hijack your name and try to lick your nuts, like I do to Trump, nobama, GROWAPAIR, KELVIN STEPHENS, America, and everyone else I hate and who b1tch slapped me

But all of you already know this

2. GROWAPAIR says:

Yeah, I’m KELVIN STEPHEN. I’m a hardened thug. I don’t like woods or south siders. I was picked up for criminal threats, and got a beat down in the process. Robert Hale got me a plea deal. They segregate “gays” and I learned about Allah in there. They also give you free meds. Go for it. Be careful, or I’ll hijack your name, like I did to nobama, America, and everyone else I hate.

1. Joe says:

You want to know another thing about Transgender people. Well, you pu$sies think I need so much protection when I already get paid more licking buttlips than what most of you’ll ever see with or without these people. Jail is punishment, but constitutionally it can’t be “cruel or unusual,” so every time you brain dead pu$sies give in and vote for more tough on crime laws check the “ferry dust” coming from my butt. Transgender is not sexual deviance, know your terms, dumba-$ses.

I’m MIKE, the Original Internet PU$SY BlTCH, I get b1tch slapped by GROWAPAIR so I lick BUTTH0LES and jack off screen names

1. Joe says:

YEAH, I’M PU$SY MIKE AND AS EVERYONE CAN SEE I’M A REAL COWARDLY PIECE OF M0NKEY SHlT AND I POST WITH GROWAPAIR’S SCREEN NAME TO PROVE IT.

3. If being a creep clown who scares people is a crime why hasn’t Trump been arrested?