Auto Club Urges Against Legalizing Marijuana In California

LOS ANGELES ( — Drug-impaired driving is a growing problem, and a proposal to legalize recreational marijuana in California could make it worse, according to the Automobile Club of Southern California.

The Auto Club says nearly 20 percent of fatal collisions in California involves at least one driver who tested positive for drugs.

“The problem extends beyond recreational marijuana and illegal drug usage — many prescription drugs can impair skills that are critical to driving,” said Kathy Sieck, senior vice president of public affairs for the Auto Club.

The Auto Club opposes Proposition 64, which would legalize recreational marijuana use in the state for people age 21 and older. Approval of the measure could contribute to an already growing problem of drug-impaired motorists, Sieck said.

“Prop. 64 is a gamble on the public’s safety, which isn’t a risk worth taking, especially when drug-impaired driving is on the rise,” she said.

Proponents of the measure insist the proposal includes a requirement for an extensive public-health information campaign that will include information about the dangers of driving while impaired by marijuana “and the potential harms of using marijuana,” according to Californians for Responsible Marijuana Reform.

The group also contends the measure will provide $3 million a year to the California Highway Patrol to develop updated DUI protocols for determining when a driver is marijuana-impaired and impose restrictions on the acquisition of marijuana, including “strict safeguards against children accessing it.”

(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

1. Brian Kelly says:

There is absolutely no doubt now that the majority of Americans want to completely legalize marijuana nationwide. Our numbers grow on a daily basis.

The prohibitionist view on marijuana is the viewpoint of a minority and rapidly shrinking percentage of Americans. It is based upon decades of lies and propaganda.

Each and every tired old lie they have propagated has been thoroughly proven false by both science and society.

Their tired old rhetoric no longer holds any validity. The vast majority of Americans have seen through the sham of marijuana prohibition in this day and age. The number of prohibitionists left shrinks on a daily basis.

With their credibility shattered, and their not so hidden agendas visible to a much wiser public, what’s left for a marijuana prohibitionist to do?

Maybe, just come to terms with the fact that Marijuana Legalization Nationwide is an inevitable reality that’s approaching much sooner than prohibitionists think, and there is nothing they can do to stop it!

Legalize Nationwide!…and Support All Marijuana Legalization Efforts!

1. Brian Kelly says:

Legalizing Marijuana will not create a massive influx of marijuana impaired drivers our roads.

It will not create an influx of professionals (doctors, pilots, bus drivers, etc..) under the influence on the job either.

This is a prohibitionist propaganda scare tactic.

Truth: Responsible drivers don’t drive while intoxicated on any substance period!

Irresponsible drivers are already on our roads, and they will drive while intoxicated regardless of their drug of choice’s legality.

Therefore, legalizing marijuana will have little impact on the amount of marijuana impaired drivers on our roads.

The same thing applies to people being under the influence of marijuana on the job.

Responsible people do not go to work impaired, period. Regardless of their drug of choice’s legality.

1. Brian Kelly says:

Marijuana consumers deserve and demand equal rights and protections under our laws that are currently afforded to the drinkers of far more dangerous and deadly, yet perfectly legal, widely accepted, endlessly advertised and glorified as an All American pastime, booze.

Plain and simple!

Legalize Marijuana Nationwide!

2. Brian Kelly says:

Fear of Marijuana Legalization Nationwide is unfounded. Not based on any science or fact whatsoever. So please prohibitionists, we beg you to give your scare tactics, “Conspiracy Theories” and “Doomsday Scenarios” over the inevitable Legalization of Marijuana Nationwide a rest. Nobody is buying them anymore these days. Okay?

Furthermore, if all prohibitionists get when they look into that nice, big and shiny crystal ball of theirs, while wondering about the future of marijuana legalization, is horror, doom, and despair, well then I suggest they return that thing as quickly as possible and reclaim the money they shelled out for it, since it’s obviously defective.

The prohibition of marijuana has not decreased the supply nor the demand for marijuana at all. Not one single iota, and it never will. Just a huge and complete waste of our tax dollars to continue criminalizing citizens for choosing a natural, non-toxic, relatively benign plant proven to be much safer than alcohol.

If prohibitionists are going to take it upon themselves to worry about “saving us all” from ourselves, then they need to start with the drug that causes more detriment to our society than every other drug in the world COMBINED, which is alcohol!

Why do prohibitionists feel the continued need to vilify and demonize marijuana when they could more wisely focus their efforts on a real, proven killer, alcohol, which again causes more detriment to our society than all other drugs, COMBINED?

Prohibitionists really should get their priorities straight and/or practice a little live and let live. They’ll live longer, happier, and healthier lives, with a lot less stress if they refrain from being bent on trying to control others through Draconian Marijuana Laws.

3. Brian Kelly says:

You want to know another thing about Transgender people. Well, you pu$sies think I need so much protection when I already get paid more licking buttlips than what most of you’ll ever see with or without these people. Jail is punishment, but constitutionally it can’t be “cruel or unusual,” so every time you brain dead pu$sies give in and vote for more tough on crime laws check the “ferry dust” coming from my butt. Transgender is not sexual deviance, know your terms, dumba-$ses.

I’m MIKE, the Original Internet PU$SY BlTCH, I get b1tch slapped by GROWAPAIR so I lick BUTTH0LES and jack off screen names

2. Brian Kelly says:

Yeah, I’m PU$SY MIKE the BIPOLAR INTERNET BlTCH . I don’t like woods or south siders. I was picked up for criminal threats, and got a beat down in the process. Robert Hale got me a plea deal. They segregate “gays” and I learned about Allah in there. They also gave me free meds. Go for it. Be careful, or I’ll hijack your name and try to lick your nuts, like I do to Trump, nobama, GROWAPAIR, KELVIN STEPHENS, America, and everyone else I hate and who b1tch slapped me

But all of you already know this

3. Old Hippie says:

You might want to change the password on your account, Brian.

1. Brian Kelly says:

I might wanna lick your butt hole🙂.

I’m a “expletive” butt licker. NO Hillary Clinton 2016!!! I back Black Lives Matter and the LGBT community. Love Trumps Hate!!!

I’m PU$SY MIKE the BIPOLAR INTERNET BlTCH and I lick Trump nuts.

2. Elisi Newell says:

Time to cancel my Auto Club account. Studies have shown that stoned drivers are actually slightly safer than ‘straight’ drivers.

3. Brian Kelly says:

Time for me to lick your butt hole🙂.

I’m PU$SY MIKE the BIPOLAR INTERNET BlTCH and I lick Trump nuts.