Bipolar Man Armed With Knife, Fire Extinguisher Dies After Struggle With Pasadena Police

PASADENA ( — A mentally unstable man armed with a knife died Friday after a struggle with Pasadena police, who had deployed a Taser in an effort to restrain him.

Homicide detectives were sent to the 200 block of East Orange Grove Boulevard just after 2 a.m. on the report of a family disturbance inside the apartment building.

The man was identified by family and friends as Reginald Thomas, a 36-year-old father of eight children with a ninth on the way. He was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the sheriff’s department, which is assisting the Pasadena Police Department in the investigation.

The cause of death or the details of the incident were not disclosed.

His death angered neighbors, who gathered at the scene demanding more information as police and sheriff’s deputies conducted their investigation.

Shainie Lindsay, who told reporters at the scene that she had four children with the man, said he was the one who called police for help.

“He’s bipolar, he’s crazy, she said.

“They know he’s on Social Security. They know he’s 5150,” Lindsay said, referring to the official code for a psychiatric confinement. “It’s not the first run-in with him. He called the police on himself. He wanted help.”

She said he had been armed with a knife and a fire extinguisher, and the two officers who responded to the scene ordered him to drop the items and twice used a Taser on him.

He eventually dropped the fire extinguisher, she said, but then Thomas retreated into a room and slammed the door on the officers, who managed to pry their way inside.

“They was wrestling with him, was kicking him in the head and beating him with the baton stick,” Lindsay said. “Then, after that, they was doing CPR and he was dead.”

She told reporters she is six months pregnant with another child with Thomas.

Two of the officers were also injured in the scuffle. There were two other people in the apartment at the time, but there are no other reports of injuries.

Black Lives Matter activists gathered at the scene throughout the morning, with some shouting at officers and demanding information about what led to the man’s death.

KCAL9’s Amy Johnson reported from the scene where she said things were peaceful, until the Coroner arrived to take Thomas’ body away.  Family and friends were having trouble believing he was dead.

His younger sister, Antoinette Dulaney, reiterated that  it was Thomas who actually called the police for help.

“How does the victim who ends up calling for help end up murdered,” she said. “He was a great person.”

On Friday evening, police released the 911 call as well as surveillance video of their original confrontation with Thomas.

Also Friday, friends and family held a vigil and protest. They marched to City Hall demanding justice and answers.

(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

1. Deni705 says:

Superballs is dead. Women are safe now.

2. Deni705 says:

Yeah, I’m PU$SY MIKE I’m the INTERNET BlTCH . I don’t like woods or south siders. I was picked up for criminal threats, and got a beat down in the process. Robert Hale got me a plea deal. They segregate “gays” and I learned about Allah in there. They also give you free meds. Go for it. Be careful, or I’ll hijack your name and lick nuts, like I did to Trump, nobama, America, and everyone else I hate and who b1tch slapped me

3. GROWAPAIR says:

I saw the video on TV and at 1st the robber looked white, and I said to myself, “finally a white criminal clearly seen commiitting a vicious cowardly violent crime!” But then they said it happened in Boyle Heights so that automatically excludes Caucasians… They probably pulled the video after finding out the criminal was not white… I have a theory that most criminals are actually white, but they are expert at disguising themselves as other races so the cops arrest and prosecute innocent people simply because they look like the disguised criminals…

1. Deni705 says:

Yeah, you’re PU$SY MIKE the INTERNET BlTCH . You don’t like woods or south siders. You were picked up for criminal threats, and got a beat down in the process. Robert Hale got you a plea deal. They segregate “gays” and you learned about Allah in there. They also gave you free meds. Go for it. Be careful, or you’ll hijack screen names and lick nuts, like you did to nobama, America, and everyone else Iyou hate and who b1tch slapped you.

1. MIKE says:

You want to know another thing about Transgender people. Well, you pu$sies think I need so much protection when I already get paid more licking buttlips than what most of you’ll ever see with or without these people. Jail is punishment, but constitutionally it can’t be “cruel or unusual,” so every time you brain dead pu$sies give in and vote for more tough on crime laws check the “ferry dust” coming from my butt. Transgender is not sexual deviance, know your terms, dumba-$ses.

I’m MIKE, the Original Internet PU$SY BlTCH, I get b1tch slapped by GROWAPAIR so I lick BUTTH0LES and jack off screen names

4. GROWAPAIR says:

ZumaMom, if you can get your head out of your butt maybe you can guess the color of this worthless LOSER.

1. GROWAPAIR says:

DlCCKLESS MIKE, if your daddy took its balls out of your butt you’d be NUTLESS too, PU$SY DUMBFUK

1. ZumaMom says: