COMPTON (CBSLA.com) — Authorities and the family of a 62-year-old woman fatally injured during a fight in a Compton park last month are asking for any witnesses to the altercation to come forward.
Patricia Davis was assaulted at about 6:50 p.m. on Aug. 4 as she sat in Tragniew Park, 2121 W. Alondra Blvd., according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. Deputies found the Davis on the ground and unresponsive.
“Detectives discovered that a group of women were at a local park when a 67-year-old woman became annoyed with another woman, arguing that she was too loud,” sheriff’s spokeswoman Deputy Guillermina Saldana said at the time.
“The argument quickly became physical with both punching each other and one being hit with a cane. Both women ended up on the ground where the altercation continued. The 67-year-old suspect got up and walked away while the other complained she could not breathe.”
The victim was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead, Saldana said.
The suspect, whose name was not released, was arrested and booked on suspicion of murder. She was being held on $1 million bail, Saldana said at the time, but it’s unclear if the woman remains in custody.
Detectives plan to join Davis’ family members at a news conference at the Hall of Justice in downtown Los Angeles this morning to appeal to witnesses who were in the busy park to come forward and speak to detectives.
(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)