RANCHO CUCAMONGA (CBSLA.com) — The student authors of a controversial article about a racial slur are speaking out Thursday evening.
It’s a story that is Only On 2.
The story first came to light Monday.
An article in a Los Osos High School paper stirred up a lot of controversy and anger in Rancho Cucamonga. The headline “Is The N Word Still Offensive?” raised eyebrows on and off campus.
“I asked the school to make an announcement that the N-word is not acceptable regardless of what the article says. I want the school to tell the student body it’s not OK,” said student Sheyenne Webber.
The article edited most of the N-words, replacing the I’s with asterisks, but a few were left uncensored.
On Thursday evening, CBS2’s Jennifer Kastner spoke to the two authors and their parents.
“It’s something people are uncomfortable with, and that’s OK to be uncomfortable,” said Rennae Morgan, a senior.
Morgan is one of the authors of the article. She and fellow writer, Robert Cooper, defended the piece after it was attacked earlier this week by some students and parents who found it racially insensitive.
“Her intentions have never been to harm anybody. Her intention is to find the truth,” said Rupert Francis, Rennae’s father.
The students acknowledge the word is taboo but claim it is and will continue to be used on their campus, where black students are a minority.
They point to rap music, where the word is often common. They said for many young people, the word is acceptable.
“My generation makes it positive. But I’m asking the question, if it’s so positive, why do we censor it out when an adult’s around?” Morgan asked.
“So, I, you know, wanted to have more of a discussion and steer it toward, is it offensive? And have the questions out there so people can answer it,” said Cooper, a freshmen.
Both students said the school is behind them, and the article has touched off many meaningful conversations. They respect the opinions of those who were offended but don’t plan any apologies.
Kastner said she asked for a comment of statement from the superintendent of the school district since the story first aired Monday.
“We have yet to hear back,” she reported.