California Sees First 2 West Nile Deaths Of Year

SACRAMENTO (AP) — California has recorded its first two deaths of the year from the mosquito-borne West Nile virus.

State Department of Public Health Director Ron Chapman said Wednesday that both the people who died were adults, one from Sacramento County and the other from Shasta County.

They were among the 35 Californians who have been diagnosed with West Nile in 2014, according to health officials. Sixteen of the cases were reported to the state this week.

Only 18 people had contracted the virus by this time last year.

West Virus is transmitted to humans and animals by infected mosquitoes. Chapman says residents can take steps to protect themselves by staying away from standing pools of water and wearing chemical insect repellant.

(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Los Angeles

KNX 1070 Newsradio
Play.It
Follow Us On Twitter

Listen Live