WEST HOLLYWOOD (CBSLA.com) — The Hollywood man beaten and found unconscious after leaving a bar last month has died, according to his partner.
Ramon Estrada, 36, succumbed to his injuries Monday at Cedars-Sinai Hospital.
Estrada’s partner Michael Shutt said Estrada never regained consciousness. Doctors told Shutt there was no chance for recovery.
Shutt told CBS2’s Kristine Lazar that friends and family are devastated over the loss.
They’re also at a loss to explain why anyone would beat the soft-spoken Estrada. His attacker or attackers are at-large.
“I don’t know how to move on,” said Shutt. “I don’t know how to move on. He was the love of my life.”
Shutt and Estrada were a couple for 14 years.
Estrada called Shutt around 1:30 a.m. July 7 and said he was on his way home from a nearby bar, the Gold Coast in West Hollywood. He told Shutt he had left his keys at home and to leave the door unlocked.
Estrada never arrived. He was found unconscious after a beating, lying between parked cars at Santa Monica Boulevard and Mansfield around 2:10 a.m.
“I would have ran down there; I would have ran down there to help him,” a distraught Shutt says.
Estrada was taken to a hospital as a John Doe; his hands were too badly damaged in the assault to fingerprint.
Estrada had no ID and his cellphone was missing. He stayed in the hospital for nearly a week before his friends and family located him.
“Someone stole him from us,” Shutt said. “I will never have my Ramon.”
LAPD is now investigating the beating as a homicide.
No suspects have been named.
“It’s been one nightmare after another,” Shutt said.
Police have reviewed some grainy and dark surveillance video. They told Shutt three men “may have” been involved and are seen running from the area.
The lack of answers is something Estrada’s mother says she cannot bear.
“Everyone come to me and say, they are sorry, they are sorry,” says Blanca Ornelas. “But nobody can tell me what happened. No one can tell me what happened to my son.”