STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) —Treat yourself with a guilt-free treat!
Casey Reinhardt of Casey’s Cupcakes visited the KCAL9 studios Monday to show viewers how to make skinny cupcakes.
The Skinny Cupcake( only 159 calories!) is a gorgeous, fluffy angel food cupcake topped with a low calorie Swiss meringue, glitter and a fresh strawberry. The cupcake is available at all five Southern California locations for $3.50.
RECIPE: Skinny Cupcakes
• 8 egg whites
• 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
• small pinch of salt
• ¾ cup of granulated sugar
• ½ cup cake flour
• ¼ cup confectioner’s sugar
• ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
• Coconut Milk Icing, recipe follows
• Fresh strawberries, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 360 degrees. Sift cake flour and confectioner’s sugar together 4 times and set aside.
2. In a clean bowl, whip egg whites with pinch of salt until foamy with an electric beater (or in a stand mixer). Add cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar while beating and continue to beat until very stiff. Add vanilla extract.
3. Quickly fold in flour mixture. Pour into pre-lined cupcake pan [fill half of each cup]
4. Bake at 360 degrees for 16-18 minutes
Non-Dairy Sugar Free Topping
• 1 can coconut milk
• 4 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
• 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1. Place can of coconut milk in refrigerator overnight. The following day, open it and spoon out into a bowl [it should be thick/hardened from the refrigerator]
2. Add sugar and vanilla
3. Whip with an electric beater (or stand mixer) until it resembles whipped topping
4. Ice cupcakes and top with fresh strawberries